Thread: Code red hitting shelf on Silencer

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Code red hitting shelf on Silencer

I had my Silencer set up on Monday, yesterday was 1st chance to shoot outdoors. I hear a noise and it's coming from the code red hitting the shelf.

Don't know why we didn't hear it indoors.

But... what is the fix? Can I raise the code red up a tad bit so it doesn't hit the shelf and of course, move my nocking point up? I didn't look to see where it aligned with the berger holes, but even if it's slightly above the berger holes, would that be okay?

I looked at the ripcord instructions and it said if it made noise it was one of 2 things. The arrow being drawn and making noise, which it isn't or hitting the shelf, which it is. It said to raise it up and/or put moleskin underneath it. But the Silencer has a rubber shelf, how would moleskin or felt help with the thud?

Post Thanks / Like

Go ahead and raise it up a bit and adjust the nocking point, peep, etc accordingly. Contrary to what younger guys THINK (they don't actually know) the arrow does not have to bisect the berger holes. You may have to do some minor tuning, but if it cuts the noise then so be it.

Many years ago (here we go again) the deepest part of the grip was in the physical center of the bow. The rest mounted apporximately 2" above center. We were able to tune bows back then just as they are tuned today. Somewhere along the line (late 80's?) the grip area was moved down to get the rest closer to center. If you measure from both axles you'll find that the center of most bows is still right around the shelf area so it's not centered anyway. IMO all moving the grip down did was throw the balance of the bow off, making them top heavy.

If you ever get the chance try drawing and aiming one of those old critters and see just how nice they balance. Be careful though and keep the draw weight down. Most of those bows only had 35% to 50% letoff. Spoiled as we are today by 80% it might not feel like any letoff at all.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply.

I sent ripcord an email, they got back with me in 5 minutes and said that I should be able to slide a piece of paper between the rest and the shelf and never hit.

So..with your advice and theirs... adjustment time.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from shop....rest apparently wasn't tightened down and slid down to touch the shelf. All fixed up like it should be, back to quietness.

Also, had some old Gold tip XT 55/75's that I used to use...picked up 13FPS over the Cabelas Stalker Extreme's....so... now at 295FPS with a simple arrow switch.

Happy camper I be!

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear. Now if you're happy I'm happy. Now just have fun.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver