Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with my wife's shooting

Post Thanks / Like

Default help with my wife's shooting

first off this might be in the wrong section but i need some help for my wife.
    she is shooting a compound but with her fingers. is there any thing i can tell or show her on how to improve she is fine at 20 yrds but anything after that she has about 5" to 8" groups.
    i have never shot with fingers so i dont know much about shooting like that but she refuses to use a release.
    is her form good?
    she does have a kisser on the string but anyways any help would be great.

robin bow.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Form looks good. Anchor looks good. Relax hand on bow. Is she using a tab? I can't tell. Bare fingers makes for a sloppy release. Biggest problem I see is the bow is too short for a finger shooter. To shoot fingers well, you need a long(er) A2A.

mike

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the Tech Forums. Hope you find this place more user friendly than AT. We're a pretty small and friendly group here so don't be shy. We also like first names and pictures when applicable---lots of pictures.

Saw this on AT bit ago and there are some good suggestions there. The problem is there are too many suggestions. Yeh, who do you listen to?

The a2a has already been mentioned and it probably is an issue, but she already has the bow and is apparently enjoying it. I'd like to see a clearer picture, but we'll work with what we have. What rest is on the bow? Is it for fingers or release?

Is she planning on hunting? If not then take the quiver off the bow. The short a2a allows for more movement at the shot and the weight of a quiver on one side will exaggerate it. Loosen up on the wrist sling. It should not be tight to her wrist. Is she gripping the bow tight? Try loosening the grip to being totally relaxed. Try turning the bow hand out at about a 45 degree angle so she shoots more off the meat of the thumb and getting the bow off the palm of her hand.

Her overall body posture isn't bad, but could use a some tweaking. Most notably she is leaning back slightly. She just needs to distribute her weight more evenly on both feet and pull her hips backwards to stand upright. You already read it on AT, but keep the upper body in a T shape as when shooting level and bend at the waist to shoot down. Also it looks like she is tilting her head into the string to see through the peep. Not bad but just a little. I'd suggest she look at the target and keep looking at it while she draws and anchors. If she can't see through the peep then maybe it needs moved a little (probably higher).

As I said, not bad overall. Just some slight adjustments. Try one at a time trying to get it right. Then let her shoot enough to adjust to a new feel. Then make another change. Do it in steps. Last but not least is to let her have fun.

I also read that she shoots every evening. Sounds like you may not be getting your dinner on a regular basis. LOL. Nature of the beast. You started it, right?

You are likely going to get more help so don't be shy. We request that you report back with progress reports so that we can learn if we know what we're talking about. LOL.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add one point: A clearer picture would show this better, but she appears to be slightly twisted at the waist, towards the bow. This means that her chest is making contact with the string (I'm trying to be delicate here).

It may just be the photo, but if the string is making contact, than that will affect every shot slightly differently.
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

I know this might be off-topic but your a junior member and married???

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Draw length too long, ATA is too short. Easy fix, get her a release aid and shorten the draw length.

Post Thanks / Like

Like the others said to shoot fingers u need a longer ata. I shoot an old compound bear with fingers and my ata is 47.5 inches. Yeah my dl is alot
    longer than hers 30 inches with fingers, but it keeps ur fingers from being pinched by the nocking point and string. Either a longer ata bow or shoot
    with a release would be my suggestion. Thats just my two cents!
    2010 Rytera Nemesis. 63lbs/29dl 292 fps 384gr arrow. Sword 6 pin sight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Junior is a relative thing. How long here and/or number of posts.

I was junior at age 61!
    So age is measured mentaly?? hah

Post Thanks / Like

Default lol

Quote Originally Posted by parkerd View Post
    I know this might be off-topic but your a junior member and married???
    yea im 30 yrs old and my wife is 26

Post Thanks / Like

Default update

target.jpg

told her about some of the tips you guys said and bought here a finger glove and now she is getting good groups at 30 yrds..
    thanks again