Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: First Shots through Firecat 400 today and....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    Those Bone Collector accessories complement that Firecat just right. I love blue loctite on accessories. It keeps the vibrations and noise down, is also made to be removal. We used to use beeswax for wood screws and does work in a pinch for metal to metal but loctite is preferred.

Hope you are able to get the noise to levels you can tolerate. Heavier arrows as suggested will do it. She is definitely looking bad a$$.

That FireCat is money....

Smarten Up and Martin Up
    Thanks guys for the kind words. I am going to try my scorpion venom wax on the threads and see how it holds first. If no success I am after the blue loctite. I am shooting quite a lighter arrow than I should be but its all I can really do right now.. I do have a couple heavy arrows laying around I can try for a noise test but the ones I have now are actually only rated for up to 60# from my old set up. Cant really afford more arrows just yet. I am not finding any damage to arrows so far though. I am putting string silencers and speed studs on it tomorrow. I would say before its over though I have limb silencers, cable silencers, cable slide silencer, etc on it. I do not want to use an adhesive limbsaver on this bow though. I was looking at a wrap design and also the vibracheck limb silencers but your bow has to be pressed to put them on.. Really I did not read great reviews about the vibracheck limb silencers anyway other than looking cool. Those are the ones you see factory on these PSE bows.

Again thanks for the comments and being a part of this new bow experience of mine I am having right now.

Post Thanks / Like

You say your arrows are too light for the bow. Just how light are they? This could contribute to the excessive noise. If you can't afford new arrows at this time there might be a temporary solution. Turn the weight down. Also make sure the cams are in sync. A little off and noise/vibration will be the result.

Good lookin rig, by the way. Both my bows are the carbon weave dip and it does stand out in a crowd.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    You say your arrows are too light for the bow. Just how light are they? This could contribute to the excessive noise. If you can't afford new arrows at this time there might be a temporary solution. Turn the weight down. Also make sure the cams are in sync. A little off and noise/vibration will be the result.

Good lookin rig, by the way. Both my bows are the carbon weave dip and it does stand out in a crowd.
    That's what I was thinking. At least a 350grain arrow with your DW. If it's less than that, then you're not doing the bow any favors for noise issues, nor doing yourself any favors for safety reasons.

And.. I don't get it.. all that money for a beautifully setup bow, but don't spend the $30 (Cabelas carbon stalker extremes) for 6 arrows, even if just to get you by ?(btw, I use those arrows for 3 yrs and they are just fine, except I'm going to lighter weight this year)

Post Thanks / Like

Its not that I wont drop the 30 dollars.. I just cant take do it for a couple weeks.. Dont know actual weight on arrows.. Ill find out today but they are only rated for 45-60# I have a couple gold tip arrows that are heavier. I will test the concept.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Its not that I wont drop the 30 dollars.. I just cant take do it for a couple weeks.. Dont know actual weight on arrows.. Ill find out today but they are only rated for 45-60# I have a couple gold tip arrows that are heavier. I will test the concept.
    Ahh... so the spine is probably off and maybe not so much the weight.

I'm shooting the Silencer, which is the same as the FC400 and I don't have the noise you are speaking of after I had my rest re-adjusted.

Good Luck man!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 70# FC400 also. My arrows are at 383 gr. total weight. A little bit louder than what I could accomplish with a heavier arrow, but it's a good compromise between silence and speed. It keeps the bow plenty quiet for hunting purposes. On initial set-up, my bow was fairly loud to me. It took a bit of cable twisting to get the cams timed, but once they were, it was significantly quieter. I think this might be part of your problem. I have limbsavers, cat whiskers, and a stabilizer for noise and vibration damping. Once the cams were set right, that's all it took to make it pretty darn quiet. Also, getting the cams timed just right should give you a speed increase. Increasing speed and decreasing noise at the same time is a great thing! lol
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

After I discarded the TRG/SOS and replaced with a standard carbon rod guide, Limbsaver STS the noise on my Onza disappeared. If you are shooting arrows lighter than 350 grains you stand the risk of damaging your bow.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont have much time I have to go right now.. Ill elaborate more later tonight. I am shooting a 430 Gr arrow. So thats good. I got those module screws good and snug and they held through my shots today.. Bow is much quieter. Also had string silencers and speed studs put on. Much more happy with the noise.. Reviewing back in my earlier post remember after my last noise my module screws backed out and I did not catch it till after the range.. Those I think were responsible for most of all the noise. Everything was much nicer today plus with a little string silence on top of that.

So what do you guys think now? I am good with 430 Grains? I do need to get arrows rated for above 70# regardless I know.

Thanks,
    Jason
    Last edited by Jason; 08-29-2011 at 06:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post

So what do you guys think now? I am good with 430 Grains?
    That's more than enough weight.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

They're more than heavy enough as far as mass weight is concerned, but I'd still recommend shooting a stiffer spine or dropping the bow's draw weight by about 5#. Just as proper fit of the bow (draw length) is the most important requirement of a compound bow, proper arrow spine is one of the more important requirements for good arrow flight.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver