Thread: In Rod We Trust!

Post Thanks / Like

Default In Rod We Trust!

2010 Bengal with 70# limbs, set @ 62.

If some of you remember, I had issues we my string recently and the problem happened to be my slide (cable guard) that was getting sharp and chewing the string (Thank Bfisher for pointing this one out).

Now, I was shooting again today, and the slide was "grabbing" on the carbon rod that holds it. I notice some wear on the rod and I rotated it 180˚ and it fixed the problem . . . for now. I can probably flip it too, which would give it a bot more life. My proshop is closed, and it won't be opened before I go hunting.

Is wear a normal thing for this rod? It has around 6000 shots on it.

Now, in my previous post, I was thinking on going into a ccs system, but I'm not convinced it is the right choice. Some of the best bow on the market still use the slide system.

Any idea if my rod is covered by warranty? If not, are they expensive? Would you keep the rod and slide or switch to ccs? Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Stéphane

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Carbon rods will wear. But shouldn't be wearing at the speed yours is. It could be cause by your new glide.
    Sounds like it is putting a lot of torque on the rod. You can get a new one here http://www.shopatron.com/products/pr...0.0.0.0?pp=12&

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Not only torque, as Hutch suggested, but dirt and grit. When a slide starts grabbing (chattering) it's usually caused by either water, as shooting in the rain, or just plain old buildup of grit or dust. Make a concerted effort to clean the rod once in a while. A soft cloth or paper towel and alcohol will do just fine. If you can force the slide off the back end it wouldn't hurt to clean the inside of the slide the same way, but with a QTip. This should take care of the problem as far as the dirt is concerned. As for rain or snow, the best solution for this is just a good Teflon slide.

In any case it's always wise to inspect any slide once in a while. Before even installing one take a good look at the edges where the cables will ride and chamfer any sharp edges with a little rattail file. This will help ensure longer cable life.

Any rod will wear over time, but these suggestions shold minimize it. A carbon rod should, with care, last for many many years.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
    Would you keep the rod and slide or switch to ccs?
    I would be looking to get an alloy rod and use a Saunders Hyper-Glide, it uses a roller against the rod so it moves very easily with less wear hopefully. I like the CCS but its more work to change to.

Love the title of this thread btw, lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    I would be looking to get an alloy rod and use a Saunders Hyper-Glide, it uses a roller against the rod so it moves very easily with less wear hopefully. I like the CCS but its more work to change to.

Love the title of this thread btw, lol!
    Glad you thought it was funny. Laughter is good for us.

I'll post a picture of it before I go. Not worn out, but "rough". Before I spun 180˚, it was "catching" with the new and the old slider. When I switched to the new one, it was fine for a while, but today I could even hear it dragging. Spun it and 1" higher at 50 yards. Smooth as silk.

Off topic:
    Btw, destroyer, great show by Webber in F1 and an even better one by Stoner in MotoGP. There must be something from the Vegemite.

SG

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane View Post
    There must be something from the Vegemite.
    Could be, or the multi-vitamins he pushes here. Can't remember the name of them, didn't pay enough attention to the ad.