Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another English 3D Shoot.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another English 3D Shoot.

This shoot was held over the weekend in Devon / Cornwall. I was not there, but Kev was (look out for him with a trophy).

Link to photos: http://www.harrisonimages.co.uk/toad...ent/index.html
    Dedicated Finger Shooter.

Shadowcat(s) with Barnsdale limbs: Davis The System, Free Flyte rest.

Post Thanks / Like

There are three things I notice quite readily. One: alot of women and kids. Good for the sport. Two: A lot of recurves and long bows. Three: Looks like everybody had a good time. Lots of smiles.

Thanks for posting. Made my day.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty typical for a NFAS (National Field Archery Society) shoot, especially on a holiday weekend (as it is over here).

Recurve classes are bigger by far than the compound classes over here, with separate classes for American Flatbow (longbow) and Longbow (English Longbow), as well as hunting type recurves without sights shooting wooden arrows (only) and even primitive bow classes.

You'll also notice we like a cuppa and a bacon sandwich too, oh and home made cake....mmmmmm caaakke.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    Recurve classes are bigger by far than the compound classes over here
    That's because they are 'real' bows lol! But yes, everyone looks very happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Awsome pics, Neil.
    That is a real nice looking range. It nice to see a target with the arrows all not in the spot..
    Don.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another link to a shoot held in the spring at the club Kev belongs to. They have another shoot in October which I will be attending, as Ashcombe always set a challenging course.

Link: http://ashcombe-archers.webs.com/app...toid=122655066

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't find it nor did I see it mentioned, but just how many shooters are drawn to these affairs? Looks to be good attendance.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    Here's another link to a shoot held in the spring at the club Kev belongs to. They have another shoot in October which I will be attending, as Ashcombe always set a challenging course
    Hopefully the shoot will go as planned Neil, but the new gates at the entrance to the woods have been nicked!! local Pikey's strike again
    At the moment the landowner has blocked the entrance with some big sections of tree trunks.
    I'll keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    I couldn't find it nor did I see it mentioned, but just how many shooters are drawn to these affairs? Looks to be good attendance.
    We have had a bit of a drop in attendances at shoots due to the high cost of fuel and the economy crash.
    However. most local shoots can still field 75 to 100 entants.
    Neil told me the one in Wales he attended a few weeks back only had around 38, but I think that is unusually low (mind you, it was Wales after all).

Kev
    2009 AlienX
    2009 AlienX (not a misprint, I have two)
    2010 AlienX
    I have other bows as well

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly what Kev said.

I have been doing these kinds of shoots since around 2006, on an off. Around our area (South West England) there are usually up to 120 archers, however, I was shooting with a lady from the Midlands and their club shoot can see as many as 220.

The shoot co-ordinator for NFAS tries to get clubs within the same region not to clash dates, as that really affects numbers, and the recent shoot I attended in Wales clashed with another popular venue. This effectively meant the Devon and Somerset archers mostly went to the shoot in Dorset, leaving around 50 more hardy and serious archers () to risk life, limb and a twisted ankle to the mountainous Welsh course at Hawk.

The organisers at Hawk were pretty pleased with the turnout for two reasons. First, the club is several miles off the beaten track (close to the place on the map marked Yer be Dragons). Second, the course at Hawk has a reputation for taking no prisoners (one of the reasons I like it so much). The downside of this is that some people will give it a miss (shame on them). I hasten to add that Kev is not one of those people, he would love the course, but it's a pretty long drive from Devon the Abergavenny.

Pikey = A roaming people who laughingly call themselves travellers. Usually of Irish decent...or just Irish, they will 'liberate' anything that can be resold, melted down and resold or used to power their caravan pulling flatbed trucks. These people have no connection in any way to genuine Romany People.

Kev; Lots of reports of stolen roofing lead, red diesel, farm implements, scrap metal, Shetland ponies (which the Pikey love to collect), trout (from lakes) and at present pheasant poults. I even read that 80 apple trees were striped of their fruit overnight...now that one you have to admire, if only for the organisation to do it. Mind, I suspect that was too much work for Pikey's, probably European migrant workers over for the picking season.

Sorry fella's, nothing to do with archery, but everything to do with 'peaceful rural life'.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for those definitions, Neil. Being from the western side of the pond I didn't know what Kev was referring to when he said, Pikey.

Around my parts there are numerous archery clubs. Most do have 3D shoots, mostly just club shoots. One club I belong to is one of five in a winter league that starts the Sunday before Christmas. Three shoots each (rotation) for 15 consecutive weeks. Rain, snow, ice, sunshine. It doesn't matter. The shoot goes on. One day, Sunday, registration from 7:00am to 1:00 pm.

We used to average about 160 shooters per shoot and I have seen as many as 325 at one club a few years ago. The last couple years those numbers have dropped and we're lucky to see 60 shooters. It used to be 35 yard max, but a few diehard IBO shooters complained that it was too short so those in charge added another stake to make it 45 yard maximum. These guys were the typical Hold-everbody-up type and ticked people off. Guess that's why many quit coming. Now the IBO shooters don't even show up after being accommodated. This year we are going to make it a 40 yard max and see what happens, but I'm afraid the damage has been done.

We also have several clubs with indoor facilities and indoor 3D shoots to 30 yards in the winter time. These are usually pretty cool with fake trees, logs and other things to make shots a tad on the difficult side. Best part is that with nothing over 30 yards it's hard to screw up too bad on distance.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver