Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Martin Cheetah

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2008 Martin Cheetah

I recently purchased a 2008 Cheetah unaware that year Cheetah is not rated for a 30'' draw. I need to obtain a 30'' draw at min. Any ideas? New cam and idler, hybrid cam, anything? Thanks ahead of time.

Post Thanks / Like

The best you could do with it is move the string to the #2 peg on you cam, which will make it a 29 1/2" draw length. Put an 1" D-loop on it, which will allow your hand to anchor farther back.

I hate to say this, but if it still isn't long enough, the best thing you could do is get a different bow, because changing the cam and idler isn't worth it.

By the way, Welcome to the forum.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    which will make it a 29 1/2" draw length.
    If you need longer you should be able to get a little more out of the cam by putting a few more twists in the cable and/or a longer string. You will have to watch that you don't rotate the cam too much though.

It really depends on what you need, 30" including d-loop or 30" plus d-loop?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info so far. Hope to get some time to tear into it this weekend. I'll be able to make do with a 30'' draw and a loop so that will be what i try to get out of her. Will post the outcome: hopefully positive. Any other ideas feel free to chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

You'll have to be careful if you start twisting and untwisting the string and cables, because if you change the amount of twists too much, ATA, BH, DW, etc. will be messed up.
    Last edited by Arrow Splitter; 08-29-2011 at 04:37 PM.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Question?

Technical Specifications

Speed: 315-320 FPS (70#, 30”, 350 gr.)
    Let-Off: 80% (optional 65%)
    Draw Weights: 50#, 60#, 70#
    Draw Lengths: 24”-29”
    Brace Height: 7”
    Weight: 4.1 lbs.
    Axle Length: 30.5”

• New Faster M-Pro Cam with optional Draw Stop
    • Slim Torque Free Grip
    • Thermal V Leather Grip
    • New Omega V Vibration Escape System
    • Carbon Cable Guard Rod with Teflon Slide

•Available Colors: Titanium, Crimson Red, Hunter Black

So this is the tech specs I keep seeing for this bow. Anyone have input on this, 315-320 FPS (70#, 30”, 350 gr.)?
    I'm waiting on a reply from the actually Martin Tech team on this info. I understand what the numbers mean but where would they get these results if a 30'' draw is not possible for the 2008 model?

Post Thanks / Like

OK, the best (and quickest) way to get this cleared up is to call Martin, and ask for Joel. He should be able to tell you exactly what DL your bow goes to. Martin is slow at answering emails.

Post Thanks / Like

Changing the string to the number 2 post is supposed to reduce the craw by 1/2" if I remember right. Furthermore, for the OP, the Cheetah is adevrtised with a draw length of 29" on the long end as you already know. If you need it longer then do some actual measuring. It's possible that it already draws longer than 29". Most bows do. You can do a little twisting of the cables and/or untwisting of the string to fudge it a little, but go too far and you'll experience more noise and vibration from the bow. Also too many twists taken from the string will give terrible peep rotation.

You can do a little twisting/untwisting as I mentioned, use a longer string loop as AS mentioned. Maybe extend your release a little. These are mostly bandaids and if you really NEED a longer draw bow then that's what I'd suggest ditching the Cheetah and getting a longer bow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hancock24_7 View Post
    I understand what the numbers mean but where would they get these results if a 30'' draw is not possible for the 2008 model?
    Its just the IBO specifications. They could have calculated it from 29" or made one up that went 30". It depends on how they test the bows, we have no idea about that.

Btw, does the module (on the cam) have f-7 on it? If it does then its 29" max. 2010 cheetah went to 30" according to the tech specs.

Senior Member Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Barry, I believe the Mpo cam is different. The cam only has 2 pegs on it, and the number 2 increases the draw by half an inch. At least this is the way mine was.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com