Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural Ground Blinds, How Do You Make Yours?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Natural Ground Blinds, How Do You Make Yours?

How do you guys make your natural ground blinds? What do they look like and do you have pictures? Have you found things that should be avoided?

I'm just getting into deer hunting with my son so everything I do is in pairs $$. This drought we have in SW OK has killed my money tree so I need to do some things on the cheap.

Thanks for the ideas in advance.
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Prefer to make one with already fallen branches and adding to available cover but I just cut a few branches (if needed) and make a little wall. Make sure there is nothing under foot and I have clear shooting lanes. And don't go too nuts, it doesn't have to be a solid wall of cover.

Post Thanks / Like

My best advice is keep it natural looking, but use enough cover so that you can move around a little. The few times I use a natural ground blind, I like to make it in a circle around me, with just one small path leading in. That protects me from deer coming in at almost any direction. Just don't make a solid wall. That's something you never see in the woods, and also it's alot harder to pick a spot to shoot out of. I shot my first P&Y buck just sitting on the ground, leaning back against a tree stump. No cover at all between me and the deer. 13 yard shot. Ok, that was damn lucky, I know, but it also goes to show, that when you draw your bow is as important as being completely hidden.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you guys use an open top? My worries were the deer seeing bow/head movement as I raise and draw the bow.

How far back from where plan the ambush do you place/make your blind? I know you can be quite close with the blacked out tent types with shoot thru screen but a natural blind would seem to warrant some distance.
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    Do you guys use an open top? My worries were the deer seeing bow/head movement as I raise and draw the bow.
    Yes, not a problem. The deer seem to be looking for a whole person and using a mask there is little for them to see. The basics apply though, slow deliberate movement, don't make noise and wait for the deer to be looking away or feeding.

How far back from where plan the ambush do you place/make your blind?
    20 to 30 yards but it depends on how spooky the deer are, sometimes that is too close. Live and learn.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. Since this is my first year I would really like to limit my shots to 30 yards since I don't know how I will react. My son isn't as good of shot as me and I would like to keep him at 20-25 yards. I hope these aren't too close but we will have to see. First we need to get deer to the desired location while we are there.
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

20 yards should be ok, it depends on how spooky they are. Biggest problem is wind and scent.

First we need to get deer to the desired location while we are there.
    Going to setup a scrape, lure, call, rattle?
    Last edited by Destroyer; 08-30-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

dang,Mark. wish i was there. id school ya in ground blind huntin. my first couple years i hunted from ground blinds cuz i was skeered of heights. lol. find a reliable feeding area,find a fallen tree or large limbs(most of your work is already done). clear the ground to bare dirt. i used to take a chunk of carpet to sit on. quiets the noise and keeps your body from soaking up the moisture in the ground. pile more limbs out in front of you. not a solid wall,though. and only make it high enough so when you draw your aiming over the top of the limbs without unnecessary movement. just remember to make sure the deer are looking away from you when you move. you'll be surprised how close they'll get. my first doe was at 8yds. its nerve wrecking for sure.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    20 yards should be ok, it depends on how spooky they are. Biggest problem is wind and scent.

Going to setup a scrape, lure, call, rattle?
    Good questions! We don't have a clue what we are doing, it is our first time. You could say it is the blind leading the blind.

On our small private area we plan on hunting near the feeders. Other than that I am open to ideas.
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

On our small private area we plan on hunting near the feeders.
    Good idea, brings in the critters and gives you a starting point. Done any scouting yet or are you just going turn up and see what happens? Both can work. Scouting using a spotting scope would give you a better idea of the time and movements of the deer and won't disturb them much if its open enough to do that. What is the area like?