Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Natural Ground Blinds, How Do You Make Yours?

Post Thanks / Like

On another forum they have a video of a guy making a homemade one. They also have pics of one where the guy has it around his elevated blind. They are called Ghost Blinds. They also mention a video on YouTube of a guy making a homemade one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Good idea, brings in the critters and gives you a starting point. Done any scouting yet or are you just going turn up and see what happens? Both can work. Scouting using a spotting scope would give you a better idea of the time and movements of the deer and won't disturb them much if its open enough to do that. What is the area like?
    We have been around the small area, 30 acres, and looked for travel routes and bedding areas. I have picked out a few ground blind areas by the tree feeders and have one other cut out under a cedar tree along an opening they seem to travel. Like I said, I think they are just passing through looking for water at this point. We have had about an inch of rain in 6 months and the temps for the last 3 months are averaging over 100*.

Sonny

I have seen the ghost blind. It looks cool.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=SonnyThomas;68132]Ground blinds... Have you guys seen the "Ghost Blind?" I think that was the name of it. QUOTE]

Have you seen the price for them things, 250 bucks!! Good idea but not if you are on a budget.

There is another option that I have had good luck with. About 14 bucks for a burlap blind.
    I use pvc pipe as a frame for the burlap, about 10 bucks for that.
    The blind comes out to 4' by 12' and is easy to carry in and out if you want.
    I use fallen branches or what ever is around the area for cover around the blind.
    Any blind should be set up weeks before hunting season so the deer will get used to it.
    I also have a small stool that has a spinning seat on it for being able to quickly and quietly turn which ever way I need to for the best shot.
    I have used the same blind for 3 years now and still working fine.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

His homemade one cost him $140 to build. It is cool but I'm looking at brush and burlap for now. I can justify that a little easier.

Cyclepath

I bought a three legged folding chair/saddle seat from Cabela's to use. It doesn't swivel though. I would like a portable, folding chair that swivels. I just haven't seen one yet. We still have a month to go until deer season so I have time to work on the blinds. The season is three months long so some adjustments can be made during the season and still have time for the deer to accept the changes.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 09-01-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sharxfan!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

No problem. I can't troublshoot a bow all that well but my Google Fu is outstanding.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    We have been around the small area, 30 acres, and looked for travel routes and bedding areas. I have picked out a few ground blind areas by the tree feeders and have one other cut out under a cedar tree along an opening they seem to travel. Like I said, I think they are just passing through looking for water at this point. We have had about an inch of rain in 6 months and the temps for the last 3 months are averaging over 100*.
    Sounds like you have it sorted.

Scent control? Clean rubber boots track less odors in and using a washing powder with less of a perfume helps too.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't build ground blinds, yet... I have just been sitting on the ground leaning against a tree. The only recommendation I have is, if you plan to sit on the ground or in a chair or on a stool, practice shooting that way. Like I said, I sit on the ground against a tree. My buddy suggested I try shooting that way so I would be comfortable with it. First shot went OK, second shot, I caught my knee with the limb as I made the shot. That was not comfortable at all. Those limbs hurt when they unload.
    2012 Alien X