Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Firecat ??? Take a stab at this one

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Thanks Speedy, Justin, Destroyer, and Jake the Snake. I appreciate your feedback a lot. The more I think about it and listening to you guess speculate I think that Im probably better off just sticking to the Cheetah. Even if the 08 Firecat shoots a little harder 5-10 fps faster its not enough to justify getting it. Having a short DL really sucks! Im not all about speed but having that short DL it helps to get as aggressive as you can. I have to let all of you know that pulling 73 lbs. is no problem for me even effortless in late season in cold IL. I wish Martin had bows that even went up to 80 lbs. I know the limbs have to be pretty tough. I know Hoyt and Strother archery does it. Heard the 08 Martin limbs had a lot of recalls so with my 2010 be better off that way as well. Im shooting 73 lbs cause the custom string I put on pulled on limbs a little more. I also like the 30 inch axel to axel its slick in the treestand.

Once again thanks everyone for at least taking the effort to look into it!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter_IL_BT View Post
    I wish Martin had bows that even went up to 80 lbs.
    When I put 2009 limbs on my 2007 Pantera the weight jumped to 80#. Maybe if you called Martin they could set you up. What is the limb deflection of your bow, 7H?

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to talk you into anything, but the dual cam (binary) set up to the same specs as the single cam and shooting the same arrow will not be 5 to10 fps faster. It will be between 15 and 20 fps faster. That's the results I got between a 2008 FireCat (Binary) and a 2009 Moab (single cam) at a 27" draw length.

Don't get all hepped up over the idea of shooting 80# to get more speed or kinetic energy. You'll get more unnecessary kinetic energy, but will have to shoot a comparably heavier arrow so speed ends up being a wash. Really, there isn't even anything walking in North America that justifies 70#. Men's egos are all that makes 70# necessary. And there are a few neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons kept in business by people thinking they NEED heavy poundage.
    Last edited by bfisher; 08-31-2011 at 06:43 AM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

i agree barry. the best thing i ever did was drop to 60 pounds. ~nods~
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    Just an FYI...I had an 08 Firekitty, awesome little bow, however, even with a ton of tuning, those Firecats real IBO was around 325. I think you would be around the same as your cheetah. However, it would be a lot smoother and easier to pull back
    I think even those numbers are high for the firecat. Speedy and I were getting pretty close to the same fps.
    I believe the real ibo numbers would be between 310 to 315 and even that is asking alot from that bow.
    Whether they are any closer to their advertised ibo now I don't know, but they haven't changed alot on their bows.
    I don't believe a new cam will add 25 to 30 fps, but if it does I know what I want for christmas.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    I think even those numbers are high for the firecat. Speedy and I were getting pretty close to the same fps.
    I believe the real ibo numbers would be between 310 to 315 and even that is asking alot from that bow.
    Whether they are any closer to their advertised ibo now I don't know, but they haven't changed alot on their bows.
    I don't believe a new cam will add 25 to 30 fps, but if it does I know what I want for christmas.
    I think with mine it was actually right around 320...oh well, the one deer I shot with it, didnt even know it was hit. That was at 71#, 387 grain arrow, 28" draw and 16 yards away. They definately were a great hunting bow, thats for sure. Which is why i picked up a Martin Warthog with the same specs as the Firecats (but with barnsdale limbs).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Not trying to talk you into anything, but the dual cam (binary) set up to the same specs as the single cam and shooting the same arrow will not be 5 to10 fps faster. It will be between 15 and 20 fps faster. That's the results I got between a 2008 FireCat (Binary) and a 2009 Moab (single cam) at a 27" draw length.

Don't get all hepped up over the idea of shooting 80# to get more speed or kinetic energy. You'll get more unnecessary kinetic energy, but will have to shoot a comparably heavier arrow so speed ends up being a wash. Really, there isn't even anything walking in North America that justifies 70#. Men's egos are all that makes 70# necessary. And there are a few neurosurgeons and orthopedic surgeons kept in business by people thinking they NEED heavy poundage.

Barry I have a 26 inch draw so that means it would shoot at least 10-12 fps slower than the 27 inch DL bow you mentioned. Thats the case I would not gain a heck of a lot from it. You are absolutely right about 80 lbs and a heavier arrow to match and mimimal gain with that. I agree with 70 lbs too, but for me being a short DL I like as much of an advantage as I can. It is not a problem pulling it back otherwise id be at a 62-65 lbs pull instead. While im still young I might as well take advantage of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wanna hear something wild??? My cousin when he hunted pulled nearly 100 lbs. with an old Game Sport bow. Talk about old crazy!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter_IL_BT View Post
    Barry I have a 26 inch draw so that means it would shoot at least 10-12 fps slower than the 27 inch DL bow you mentioned. Thats the case I would not gain a heck of a lot from it. You are absolutely right about 80 lbs and a heavier arrow to match and mimimal gain with that. I agree with 70 lbs too, but for me being a short DL I like as much of an advantage as I can. It is not a problem pulling it back otherwise id be at a 62-65 lbs pull instead. While im still young I might as well take advantage of it.
    Yes, with your shorter draw length you'll get about 10 fps slower than I get, but you also are 10 fps slower with the single cam, too. Apples to apples young man. Remember, I said my two bows were set to the same specs and shooting the same arrow. Only difference was the cams.

Lets put this another way. I don't hunt now, but when I did I did so with setup that produced somewhere around 40# of kinetic energy. Last three deer I shot was with a 61# bow shooting a 315 gr arrow at 237fps. 39# of kinetic energy if you do the math. Two of the deer had pass throughs like a hot knife thru butter, both at about 15 yards. The other I shot quartering away at about 45 degrees, arrow entering behind the ribs on one side and into the leg/shoulder bone on the other, bending the broadhead and breaking that bone. The deer went 90 yards.

The point is you don't need a lot of oomph to kill deer. No matter about your draw length, with a properly spined arrow of any weight out of 70# is plenty. Don't feel slighted because of your short stature. When it comes to archery it does have some advantages. Speed just isn't one of them. Have confidence in your gear and your ability with it. Don't overthink things too much. Let it go and just enjoy it while you're young.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Yes, with your shorter draw length you'll get about 10 fps slower than I get, but you also are 10 fps slower with the single cam, too. Apples to apples young man. Remember, I said my two bows were set to the same specs and shooting the same arrow. Only difference was the cams.

Lets put this another way. I don't hunt now, but when I did I did so with setup that produced somewhere around 40# of kinetic energy. Last three deer I shot was with a 61# bow shooting a 315 gr arrow at 237fps. 39# of kinetic energy if you do the math. Two of the deer had pass throughs like a hot knife thru butter, both at about 15 yards. The other I shot quartering away at about 45 degrees, arrow entering behind the ribs on one side and into the leg/shoulder bone on the other, bending the broadhead and breaking that bone. The deer went 90 yards.

The point is you don't need a lot of oomph to kill deer. No matter about your draw length, with a properly spined arrow of any weight out of 70# is plenty. Don't feel slighted because of your short stature. When it comes to archery it does have some advantages. Speed just isn't one of them. Have confidence in your gear and your ability with it. Don't overthink things too much. Let it go and just enjoy it while you're young.

Barry if I knew I could get almost 20 fps more id be tempted to switch, but I don't see me getting that much more. Down the road I may look to get a firecat the Cheetah I have shoots well. The only reason I get caught up a little on speed is if I plan to shoot longer distances. Speed helps to get to the target faster and you have to have a balance of speed with a heavy enough arrow for hunting. Those hunting stories you mentioned no question at 15-20 yards its all about accuracy and don't need much energy at all. Also staying away from that scapula makes a difference for full penetration. You are correct about some advantages. I hear Short draw archers have a built in forgiveness with the power stroke being shorter. I would be reluctant to ever get a bow under a 7 inch brace as well especially for hunting. I appreciate your feedback. Heck when I get older I may not mess around. Meaning Ill just go with the Crossbow more, LOL.