Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 2008 Firecat ??? Take a stab at this one

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Now that I shoot the right draw length I have the hardest time controlling a bow that is even 1/4" longer than my optimum
    Same here. Straight away I have trouble getting my peep lined up correctly and feel too stretched out. I can shoot fine but it takes a lot more effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    I followed Gstudts advice on AT about how to wrap up the cams for the maximum performance, and have been very pleased with the results.
    What do you mean wrap up the cams?
    Is this something that potentionaly could harm the bow?
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    What do you mean wrap up the cams?
    Is this something that potentionaly could harm the bow?
    It's a method of supertuning a bow to get more efficiency out of the cams. Try this link:

www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=626601
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Supertuning....

Post Thanks / Like

Cycle, it took me a long time of playing with the bow to get it set just right, but once I did, it was a real shooter. The link Barry posted is the one I followed. Basically, it's just a matter of twisting the cables up on the cams in a certain way to get the most out of the cam system. I did notice however, that on my FC400, the thing shoots best when it's not twisted up as much as my old '09 FC. There's a significant cable-to-post gap difference between my new FC and how my old one was. Getting virtually the same speed out of this new FC as I did the old one too. Both my Onzas have a smaller gap than the FC400. Must just be in the geometry of how everything works together. It's all about playing around, and taking the time to adjust, test, and readjust the cam timing.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Have to lean towards cyclepath on this. 320 fps is a bit much to believe. I would believe 280 fps.

Same here, have to go with Destroyer. One of my low brace height bows is 6 3/8" and it doesn't bother me one bit. Super accurate to boot. AND anytime arm slap comes up I think draw length too long or improper grip and/or arm/shoulder position. The majority of my bows with loops are set to 28" of draw, but working at the bow shop I have to shoot bows and long as 30 1/2" and I don't get arm slap (Gorilla armed PSE shooters). I can't remember the last time I used a arm guard for 3D or target shooting of any kind. I do use one during hunting season to keep bulky sleeves compressed. They do make sleeve compressors, but I'm too cheap to buy when my arm guard still works.

Well I see you guys have had no trouble with forearm slap with lower than 7 in brace. To be honest I have not shot a lot of bows under that mark. I know a shorter brace height is not as smooth of a draw as a longer brace height you can't argue with that one. I do realize you can get away with a lighter poundage with shorter brace heights. Well if I ever get a short brace bow that shoots harder id look into a Firecate one day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    I was tried the Mathews Black Max, fastest of the fastest at one time, 330 fps. 5 1/2" brace height. I liked it, even tried to buy it.

Yes me can argue with that (getting even with my English teacher). Length of limb, length of ata, type of cam or cam system, all or any combination makes the draw what it is. I thought I gave this information in the Onza Post I started. The 2011 Onza 3 I worked on has a 7 3/4" brace height and my 2010 Shadowcat a 7 1/2" brace height. Okay, 1/4" is nothing. My Shadowcat has a 28 1/4" draw length and the Onza 3 has a 28" draw length. The bows were identical for draw weight. After shooting the Onza 3 for I don't know how many shots I ended the day with my Shadowcat. I drew my Shadowcat back so easy and so fast I thought I was going to rip it in half.

UltraTec and Bowtech; I have a 2000 UltraTec equipped with the Red Line cam and XT2000 limbs, fastest of all other UltraTecs unless speaking of those with Spiral Cams. Brace height - 6 3/8" and draw weight of 62 pounds. Ata of 38 3/8". The 2005 Bowtech Old Glory I owned, ordered new, had a 60.9 pound draw weight, 37 1/4" ata, and a 7 1/2" brace height. UltraTec; For a hard cam system the UltraTec was and still is very nice to draw. Old Glory; Dragging concrete is a better term for the way mine drew. The only way I could tolerate shooting that piece of junk for indoor competition was to turn it down to 48 pounds - I learned real quick to hate that bow. I sold it right after the IAA indoor Championship, 3 months after I bought it. And it wasn't that it shot bad. I finished 3rd in the State Championship and won a couple local 3Ds. In 2006 Bowtech released their Smoothy Cam system and that sure made one heck of difference.

Athens Excell 41" atat and Martin Shadowcat 41 1/2" ata; Shadowcat has a max 325 fps IBO. Excell has a 315 fps IBO. The Excell draws so easy, so smooth it puts the Shadowcat to shame.... Like I could care less about 10 fps.
    Of course this is only related to speed as short brace height with less poundage does not aid forgiveness.
    This was the first and only Athens I have ever seen in person. Someone had one at a fundraiser shoot this winter, He let me draw and shoot it...That cam system Athens has, seriously does put all others to shame.