Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2008 Firecat ??? Take a stab at this one

Post Thanks / Like

Just one more thing to add is at a lower draw weight the cheetah will fall off quicker than the firecat,the cat2 cams really hold the speed,ok im done.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter_IL_BT View Post
    I would be reluctant to ever get a bow under a 7 inch brace as well especially for hunting.
    Why? Brace height doesn't make a huge difference especially going from 7" to 6" with your draw length. With good form you can shoot any bow. I think brace height is more for the marketing side of selling bows these days. 7" is forgiving but 6" isn't? BS! Once 9" was forgiving and 7" was for speed bows, how the marketing changes over the years lol!

And about speed, there is no way I'm going back to slow old speeds regardless on how much KE you need. Sniping bunny's out to 60 yards I need the flattest shooting I can get and on a budget draw weight is the only way to get it.

Like that crossbow idea btw.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of crossbows, a few years back I lost a lot of muscle in my left arm, sholder, and back--about 40% (long story). I could have gotten a Ten Point crossbow for hunting and gotten whichever one I wanted for free or very close to it. Again, long story short, I gave up hunting. IWhen I regained anough strength to shoot again it was with a 15" Genisis. I spent almost a year shooting nothing but 15 yards. I can now shoot about 50#, but settle on 47# for better accuracy. Going to a crossbow would have been, to me, like surrendering and that's not a word in my vocabulary.

So, would I hunt with 47# and about a 300 gr arrow? In a heartbeat. But then I lost the desire so now I punch paper and rubber.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Why? Brace height doesn't make a huge difference especially going from 7" to 6" with your draw length. With good form you can shoot any bow. I think brace height is more for the marketing side of selling bows these days. 7" is forgiving but 6" isn't? BS! Once 9" was forgiving and 7" was for speed bows, how the marketing changes over the years lol!

And about speed, there is no way I'm going back to slow old speeds regardless on how much KE you need. Sniping bunny's out to 60 yards I need the flattest shooting I can get and on a budget draw weight is the only way to get it.

Like that crossbow idea btw.

Destroyer I don't like to go below 7 inches because of forearm slap. I have had trouble with it before even after rotating my elbow out. With bulky clothing in the late season def a problem to go lower than that. There still is a big diff with an 8 in brace versus a 6 in brace. The longer powerstroke with the 6in brace will be less forgiving.

Barry I know what you mean about surrendering. I conned my dad into getting a crossbow recently. He felt like a failure that he switched over. Got him an Excalibur and now he loves it. My dad to be honest with you was just not a good archery shot now at age 63. Even with low poundages he moves too much and he shoots too inconsistent. He has the hardest time settling a pin and moves too much when he shoots. He says he cant break the recurve habit. I like the idea for crossbows for late season hunts. They still have there disadvantages hunting and can be tough to manuever in a treestand. My gf has an Exalibur and looking to get her first deer on Oct.1 opening weekend in IL. She had spine surgery 3 years ago and was elligible. I like shooting it in the backyard still they are a lot of fun.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Going to a crossbow would have been, to me, like surrendering.
    Not to me. The only bad thing about crossbows here is that you need a license and media see it as evil weapon. I can't get over how big some of them are though, there freaking huge!

Quote Originally Posted by Bowhunter_IL_BT View Post
    The longer powerstroke with the 6in brace will be less forgiving.
    Bows aren't forgiving at all lol!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jake-the-snake View Post
    I think with mine it was actually right around 320...oh well, the one deer I shot with it, didnt even know it was hit. That was at 71#, 387 grain arrow, 28" draw and 16 yards away. They definately were a great hunting bow, thats for sure. Which is why i picked up a Martin Warthog with the same specs as the Firecats (but with barnsdale limbs).
    Not trying to start anything here but I can't believe you were getting close to that speed. I'm pulling the same weight and 1" longer draw and even with a 365 grn arrow I was only getting 292 and only got that once. The best I could get beings all things how they should be is about 305.I'm not complaining about my bow or it's speed, but I would like to see real world numbers from martin.
    2008-2011 Martin firecat pro-x, 70#, 29" dl. Monster bows dragon 60#, 29" dl.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    I would like to see real world numbers from martin.
    I think they should adopt pse's method and have a range of fps.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cyclepath View Post
    Not trying to start anything here but I can't believe you were getting close to that speed. I'm pulling the same weight and 1" longer draw and even with a 365 grn arrow I was only getting 292 and only got that once. The best I could get beings all things how they should be is about 305.I'm not complaining about my bow or it's speed, but I would like to see real world numbers from martin.
    Ha a mixup here guys. Thats what it would have shot at 30" 70 lbs. and 350 grain arrow (IBO)... I was right around 290 with my setup lol

Post Thanks / Like

With my '09 Firecat, 70# 28.5 inch draw shooting a 365 gr. arrow I was getting a solid 312 fps. That was measured on two different chronos. One read 312, the other read 311. Multiple shots. My 2011 FC400 is getting 303 fps with a 70#, 28.5 inch draw and 383 gr. arrows. I followed Gstudts advice on AT about how to wrap up the cams for the maximum performance, and have been very pleased with the results.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Have to lean towards cyclepath on this. 320 fps is a bit much to believe. I would believe 280 fps.

Same here, have to go with Destroyer. One of my low brace height bows is 6 3/8" and it doesn't bother me one bit. Super accurate to boot. AND anytime arm slap comes up I think draw length too long or improper grip and/or arm/shoulder position. The majority of my bows with loops are set to 28" of draw, but working at the bow shop I have to shoot bows and long as 30 1/2" and I don't get arm slap (Gorilla armed PSE shooters). I can't remember the last time I used a arm guard for 3D or target shooting of any kind. I do use one during hunting season to keep bulky sleeves compressed. They do make sleeve compressors, but I'm too cheap to buy when my arm guard still works.
    Ditto that last paragraph. My AZ is 6.5" brace and I can't remember the last time I hit my arm. In fact, I haven't even owned an arm guard for a least 20 years. But then along the way I learned to set me draw length correctly and not rely on the bow feeling good at the "too long" draw length tht I had gotten used to. Now that I shoot the right draw length I have the hardest time controlling a bow that is even 1/4" longer than my optimum. Yeah, I can shoot 'em. I just can't control them.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver