Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: First Shots through Firecat 400 today and....

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Shots through Firecat 400 today and....

I took my first shots through my New Firecat 400 today. So far it is equipped with a Bone Collector Quality Archery Design Drop Away Arrow Rest, Apex Bone Collector Quiver, Apex Bone Collector Stabilizer, Bone Collector D-Loop, TruGlo micro brite 3 pin sights and G5 1/4" peep. Why all the bone collector stuff? Well my bow is black and green and well all that stuff matches the bow and so far the accessories are decent. I have not yet put on my TruBlock string silencers and G5 speed studs. Still need to get maybe some limb silencers as well.

I am shooting 70# at a 29" draw. My bow is setup with a cable slide and an STS. No more TRG/SOS being sent out it appears.

My big topic today is noise. My arrow rest makes a little noise on the draw but you can not hear it standing 10 yards away from it. The rest drops away to the silent shelf so the drop is pretty clean. I checked all screws and parts for loose screws or connections before shooting. I shot about 15-20 shots. I shot in an indoor range so judging noise was a bad acoustic environment. However the bow was quite loud. Other bows shooting around me were much more low performance and poundage but were much more quiet. At the end of shooting I realize my module screws at the cam were nearly backed out causing a lot of noise but I am not confident that was the source of all the noise. I say this because even my first 3 shots were loud with all screws pre-checked. I have them tight again but I am going to have to add some Loctite to the threads to keep them in place I guess. I am thinking they are just going to back out again. Another thought is that the string slapping the STS is adding noise rather than helping it. I have moved the bumper back and forward trying to compare but I have more to do with that before being confident one way or another. I may remove it to hear a the total difference. I hate to do that because its ment to be a nice feature to have on a bow.

Now the good out of today's shoot. This bow is fast. I had the fastest shot at the range. The pure raw force of my arrow hitting the target was making such audible bang. This is my first what you would call high speed bow. The chronograph is broke so I was not able to take any sample of speed. The bow just looks wicked. One of the employees I brought the bow too to put a sticker on it as my own personal merchandise just forgot what he was doing. I eventually asked "Dont I need a sticker or something to take this to the back of the store"? "Oh yeah sorry of course I was just drooling over this bow". Carrying around the carbon black firecat today with the carbon quiver and stabilizer accessories adding to it was like driving a nice sports car. You can hear people making comments and some cant help but walk up to you to see it up close.

After sighting in I am shooting more accurate than I ever have in my life. I do not know if their is one exact reason for it or if its a combination. Switching to the drop away rest? The bow? The Sights? All 3? If you place a 2 inch "x" at 20 yards with my last Martin Jaguar I could hit all around the "x" area pretty snug but never accurately center the "x" over and over again. Today I can center the "x" at 20 yards and place another carbon shaft right next to the first arrow with fletching touching. The sight I have also allows for fine tune click adjustments like a rifle scope so I am sure that helps. My accuracy is blowing me away. Even though this bow is loud right now the arrow is impacting the target before the bow is even finished making its noise. I have to get the noise worked out though.

Feel free to comment on anything I got here but I would really like to know if anyone has this bow and had a good bit of unwanted noise. What did you do? Maybe I will have it figured out soon. I am hoping locking the module screws down good made a big difference and we will see about the STS far as on or off, adjusted, etc. Really need to shoot again soon outdoors to better feel out the noise.

Thanks.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a bad review Jason, sounds like its a good bow except for the noise issue. There are a few threads dealing with noise so check them out, might help. Just have to ask though, where are the photos?

Post Thanks / Like

Nice review Jason.Not sure what arrows you shoot,but a heavier one will help to absord some sound too.

Good luck

SL
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

excellent review. Gotta love the extra speed of a dual cam. To help w some noise, this is what I do. Limbsavers,shelf padding(but yours is already rubber?),i cut pieces of a bicycle innertube and make gaskets to go between the rest/riser,sight/riser,quiver mount/sight. Also my strings from Hutch quieted the Cheetah down alot. I wouldn't use loc-tite on any threads. Put string wax on all the fasteners. Works great. Not sure which of these guys suggested it,but it made me a believer.

the BEST thing you can do is...POST PICS!
    and as loud as Michael Waddell is,all that "Bone Collector stuff is probably most of ur noise. Lol
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Jason,
    Had the same problem you do but my rest was a Quad Hunter. Took it off, switched to the whisker buscuit ( I keep one on hand for a back up) added a few others things as you can see and no problems. But hopefully with what you paid for your rest thats not the problem, might what to try a different one to be sure. My screws were doing the same thing so I put a coat of wax on them and reinstalled them no problems after that. I'm not comforntable with using Loctite just in case I need to change things. Hope this helps.
    Dan039.jpg
    2011 Slinecer
    2010 Bengal
    Hunter, Mamba, Bush Master, Hatfield, and many others

Post Thanks / Like

I put a slim bowjax on my STS and that seemed to quiet it down a bit as well.

Post Thanks / Like

All my pics say they are too large to be uploaded here.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok here are some pictures of the bow.. They are just some earlier pics. Nothing specific to the thread.

http://myhuntprofile.com/m/photos/br...11/owner/Jason

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice rig Jason.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Man she is Beautiful...

Those Bone Collector accessories complement that Firecat just right. I love blue loctite on accessories. It keeps the vibrations and noise down, is also made to be removal. We used to use beeswax for wood screws and does work in a pinch for metal to metal but loctite is preferred.

Hope you are able to get the noise to levels you can tolerate. Heavier arrows as suggested will do it. She is definitely looking bad a$$.

That FireCat is money....

Smarten Up and Martin Up
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com