Thread: Determining the right size field points for Prowler Carb Arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Determining the right size field points for Prowler Carb Arrows

Hi,

I'm a new user of this forum. I had a question about arrows and field points. With respect to the Prowler Carbon Arrows, which size field points will fit? I know the weight is up to the shooter, but I was thinking the diameter would be an issue (these appear to be the options: 9/32, 5/16, 11/32 or 21/64).

Thanks for helping out a rookie!

Post Thanks / Like

Most people mistakenly use 5/16", but if you shoot bag targets or 3D you'll find 9/32" is more user friendly (1/64" smaller than shaft). If your arrows are like most the shaft diameter is closer to 19/64". The only company that I know of that makes these is Saunders, but trying to find them is like pulling teeth.

There are a few exceptions to whether to use 9/32". Some companies, Gold Tip in particular, make their inserts with a reverse taper, meaning they are 5/16" at the point and taper down to shaft diameter where they go against the shaft. It's easy enough if you are buyng from an archery shop. Just take a shaft with you and try some.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Martin doesn't give enough info on the sizes, very lacking on the details. Who makes the Prowler Carbon Arrows anyway?

Welcome to the forum a205592.

Post Thanks / Like

The specs seem to match the Victory VForce specs.....V3 series?
    http://www.victoryarchery.com/Products.aspx
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Martin doesn't give enough info on the sizes, very lacking on the details. Who makes the Prowler Carbon Arrows anyway?

Welcome to the forum a205592.
    Why would Martin give the sizes. They don't make arrows or points. As for comparing to Victory arrows, the V400 is .295 and this is abut what all common carbons are, give or take a couple thousandths. 5/16" is .3125" and 9/32" is .28125". 19/64" comes out to .297".
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Why would Martin give the sizes.
    Because it would be helpful. Naming the manufacturer would be helpful too, no way I would purchase them without knowing who makes them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Because it would be helpful. Naming the manufacturer would be helpful too, no way I would purchase them without knowing who makes them.
    I agree that knowing who makes them would be helpful. Martin doesn't make them; just market them. However, doing a little looking they use Bohning Double Lock nocks. From Bohning's website these fit Easton Super Unibushings. This would make them fit an inside diameter of .245/.246 shaft which is the size of most common carbon arrows without a bushing. Using a little common knowledge this would make the outside diameter at the common .295" or there abouts.

Do all the math you want, but I still say just take a shaft to any archery shop and try the different size points.

The biggest problem is that point manufacturers are still making them to the old aluminum specs instead of changing over their machining to coincide with carbon diameters when carbon is probably 90% of the sales. They need to get with the program.
    Alien Mafia
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    but I still say just take a shaft to any archery shop and try the different size points.
    Is the easiest thing to do if a shop is close.