Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Hunt has started. BooYa!.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tough Buck is Down!.

I took this fella around 4 pm this afternoon in a CRP field. I call him "Tough Buck". He was bedded down in some sage. I had the wind to my advantage as I made my way to him...slowly. When the wind died down...I stopped...When the wind picked up...I moved. I basically crab walked sideways making sure that I was in Shooting position just in case he heard me and got up. I got to 21 yards and stopped. I had one sage blocking his view of me. I must have ranged the bush he was beside 100 times. I got into shooters position and Yelped at him. I saw his Antlers move left then right...then he got up. I place my 20 yard pin on the right front armpit and fired. I couldn't even hear the impact because of the wind. He bucked up once and dropped to his front knee's. I figured this is it....Nope!. He gets back up and trots off away 40 yards and beds down under another sage. It felt like a great shot but I started to second guess myself. I waited about 20 minutes glassing him. I thought he had expired but he picked his head up again, I knew he was wounded bad. With the high heat I couldn't back out and come back later, the meat would spoil plus i didn't want him to suffer. I slowly made my way toward him again using the same tactics. I got into 20 yards of him again and got into my shooters position. I had a west to east wind and it was picking up. I yelped to him and nothing happened...I yelped again, His antlers moved...He was weak. I finally just yelled. He slowly gets up and I aimed for the same right front armpit again. Fired. I see the impact and the blood blow out. He turns around facing east to try to go uphill to get away from me.,he didn't make it. He made it about 25 yards east and rolled. I could see all four hoofs up in the air in the sage. A couple of jerks of the hoofs and he expired. My son Arrived as well as a friend to help out. I gutted him out and we used a tarp to drag him out. After I got him skinned out I could see two puncture holes on the right side, the entrance, almost touching. I call him a "Tough Buck".

He has 6 points on the left side but the eye guard is under the 1 inch rule. So I'm calling it 5.
    The right is 4 plus 1 eye guard way over the 1 inch rule. That's a 5.

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations on a nice buck! And nice shooting , he WAS tough!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Nice buck, and great shooting.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats DS!!! Nice looking Buck, what did he dress out at? He sure looks bigger than the whitetails I've seen around here.
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job!! do it again do it again!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Very nice buck, congratulations!

First shot only took out one lung perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all for the kind words. I'm still somewhat puzzled. As you can see by the picture I had both the shots almost touching. They were both pass through but one exited high possibly it was deflected up when he bucked. The other shot was straight through from one side to the other. The impact are above the V in the Armpit. The picture is the right side front shoulder area. I have the buck hanging from his rear legs. I had already removed the head. As you folks know by now...I like to take pictures....I had a friend come over and take the pics for us. Long story made short...I only have 4 pictures out of 25. I don't even have a close up of me and the buck. I'm kinda bummed about that. I lost some Pics that I had set up for my sponsors too. So I've been trying to scrounge up some pics during the meat processing and using the head for pictures. Plus I'm doing a DIY Euro mount out of the Skull and try to recover some pics that my sponsors and I can use. We already processed that deer earlier today. I will be having a lot Ground Venison, Steaks, Stew cubes and some Jerky meat. After I gutted him out and started to drag him out...he got heavy. lol I ended up retrieving a tarp and placing the Deer on the tarp. He was a heavy boy but We didn't weigh him after the gut out. We go by how many tubs of meat Buckets we use. lol. We used three buckets. 1 for the Ground venison, 1 for the Jerky meat and 1 more bucket for roasts and steaks. So I am very pleased. I had tag soup last season. Now it's on to the DIY Euro skull cleaning/boiling.

Prepping the skull for boiling.
    Last edited by Double S; 09-03-2011 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Congrats on the Buck!

Now that you've got the first one under your belt,what's next on the hit list?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Skbengel. We can only kill one deer a year here. I did throw in some cash for some extra buck and doe raffle but didn't get drawn. My neighbors want me to go after the cougar. I still have a Cougar, black bear and elk tag. Killing a Cougar with a bow spot and stalking would be Luck or a miracle or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Skbengal View Post
    Now that you've got the first one under your belt,what's next on the hit list?