View Poll Results: What size grip do you prefer?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Small

11 61.11%
  • Medium

7 38.89%
  • Large

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What size grip do you prefer?

Post Thanks / Like

I like medium to large grips,dont like the feel of just the riser.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

My preference is medium, I think the Shadowcat is but I guess it depends on your point of view, my pse is definitely small. I'm shooting the small grip fine but for some reason I'm not liking it. Its harder to torque but its also harder to control.

Amazing to see so many 'mediums', I thought the small would have been the most popular by far.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    ain't no way I'd use grip wrap/tape.
    A lot of pse shooters are using tape these days, not surprising though.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    My preference is medium, I think the Shadowcat is but I guess it depends on your point of view, my pse is definitely small. I'm shooting the small grip fine but for some reason I'm not liking it. Its harder to torque but its also harder to control.

Amazing to see so many 'mediums', I thought the small would have been the most popular by far.

A lot of pse shooters are using tape these days, not surprising though.
    Part of the concept of having a small grip is so the shooter has less control over the bow. Don't grip the bow. Don't do anything with it. Just let it pull back into your hand ina natural position. As my old coach from the 70's used to whisper to me-----Shoot the bow. Let the bow shoot the arrow. In other words you are not supposed to control the bow. Just draw, anchor, aim, and follow through. At the release you should do nothing but keep aiming.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Smaller the better. We all know that the biggest detriment to accuracy is the shooter so the less contact I (shooter) make with the bow the better.
    Spot on. I agree completely.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

With a target bow balanced up nicely perhaps but for a hunting bow that has a quiver attached, letting the bow torque by itself would be a mistake. Then remove an arrow each shot and it changes even more.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a small hand and really like how the slim line of the martin mystic riser just sits in the hand without a grip attached. has the perfect angle as well. but not much fun when shooting early on those cooler mornings, hand gets a bit cold from the bare paint finished metal.
    my samick mizar recurve has a rather chunky grip (compared to the mystic), which i cant remove despite trying. gives me a different hand position to what i'm used to with the mystic, but then again, i'm only just starting to play with trad style recurve.
    Last edited by minnie; 09-03-2011 at 01:22 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the shape of the grip is more important. It may be odd but for me the grips of my cheap Perfect Line bows are better then the one on the Martin.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minnie View Post
    my samick mizar recurve has a rather chunky grip
    The recurves are like the older compounds but it must work good since they haven't gone to small grips like on modern compounds.

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    the grips of my cheap Perfect Line bows
    The grip on the Perfectline bows I have owned were fairly small around the throat, pretty comfortable really.

Post Thanks / Like

This is going to sound middle of the road but, well I guess it is...I like a medium grip right around the size of the 2010 Bengal. Some of my Parkers are around the same size but I have an older Parker, PSE and Mathews. They all seem to have the same style wood grip which is ok at the throat but they all have what I call a big heel to them. It rides fuller in the base of my palm no matter how little I try to hold the bow. Those feel way to big to me. I mostly hunt and can see the benefit of thinner grips but medium sort of fits my niche.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!