Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share You Deer Bait/Feed/Mineral Lick Recipies

Post Thanks / Like

Default Share You Deer Bait/Feed/Mineral Lick Recipies

Okay veteran hunters and huntresses, it's your time to help out green horns like me. I know that many people brewed up their own mineral licks and corn blocks long before the commercial stuff was available. If you have a recipe that you used and it worked please share it. Maybe we can all find some new tricks. I would love to have some new treats to bring to the deer in the near future.

Being new I don't have much to share other than what my friends have shared with me. They always mix in a bottle of vanilla (from the dollar store) in with their deer corn. That way every time the feeder spreads corn it spreads the vanilla smell as well. I also mixed some up in a spray bottle to spray on our boots and lower pant legs. One friend says this alone always brings some small deer right to where he is hunting. If he is lucky a nice buck is following one of the does.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Can't help you on this one. I've never used bait, feeders, or licks. Closest thing I have used is Trails End #307 a couple times. Gotta say though, it does bring in some deer. I do use estrous urine and buck urine for scents, but nothing food related.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

never really bothered w bait. with all corn, acorns, and apple trees around my stands, not much point
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have that so I ask.
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Same as the rest MLN, I don't bait either. It is illegal in NH without a permit/license anyway. But pretty much wouldn't anyway the deer get pretty close with out bait. With bait costs go up. The best one to ask it Double S.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I am trying a new recipe this year for a mineral lick. It is 1 part salt, 2 parts trace minerals and 1 part dicalcium phosphate. You can get all the necessary ingredients for about ~$50 or so and get 200lbs of mineral lick.

I also bait using corn out of an auomatic feeder it is legal in LA. I don't use anything else as the deer come to the corn like it is crack.

I am also going to plant some food plots this year but am waiting for some rain to soften the ground. Got the seed at Walmart.

Post Thanks / Like

I know that people in some states that can't hunt over bait, still feed (and supplement minerals) to them during the non-hunting season to keep their deer healthy and around. So it isn't just for states that can hunt over bait.

Sharxfan

I was at the farm store (Atwood's) today and saw a bag of mineral mix for goats (deer are in the goat family) and other farm animals. It contains all the stuff you mentioned and more. I have thought of adding some of the mineral mix with water, molasses and vanilla. From what I have gathered they like anything that smells sweet and you can use boxes of kool-aid mix instead of molasses. The biggest problem is finding a way to transport it without spilling and yet make it easy to carry since it will be heavy. It would make for one sticky mess if it got in the truck!
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I would bring it all seperate and then mix onsite if possible. You do not even need to use the molasses once it gets in the ground and leaches in they will eat it up. Just make sure to make a hole big enough to put the minerals in and then mix it in the hole with the dirt. Once that is done the fresh dirt smell will bring them in and the minerals will keep them coming.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

magnum buck. its corn mixed with molasses. look at Walmart or other sporting goods stores. most carry it.
    Farm stores also carry Sweet Feed for horses,corn,commercial deer baits.
    Peanut butter. they love it! buy the big institutional size or the small jar. get one with a screw on lid. svrew the lid to a tree about 4ft off the ground. screw the jar to the lid. cut off the bottom of the plastic jar. they'll lick it clean. will also have shot opportunities at squirrel and sometimes coons.

or experiment with different mixtures of stuff. corn,peanut butter,and molasses all mixed together on a 5gal plastic pail with a lid. put 6" of corn into the pail,add molasses and stir(alittle goes a long way).
    in a sauce pan,melt peanut butter and butter together til its a pasty consistency. pour over the corn/molasses mixture.mix well. repeat corn layer,molasses,PB mixture. doing it a little at a time gets it mixed better and is alot easier to stir.

if possible,when the farmers start harvesting the corn,alot of time there will be nearly enough corn in a pile on the side of the rd. to fill a 5 gal bucket. keep an empty bucket and a small shovel in your trunk. stop and load up.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Hawg

Thanks for the recipe. That looks like something I might make small blocks of so that if I go hunt some public land for a day outing I can lay one out in a potential ambush area.

Sharxfan

This is the stuff I found. I think it is $11 for a 50# bag. It should work good as a mineral supplement.

http://stockadebrands.com/products.c...8&productID=37

The main ingredients are:

Calcium (Ca) minimum 20.50%
    Calcium (Ca) maximum 24.50%
    Phosphorus (P) minimum 4.00%
    Salt (NaCl) minimum 18.50%
    Salt (NaCl) maximum 22.00%
    Copper (Cu) minimum 300 ppm
    Selenium (Se) minimum 24 ppm
    Zinc (Zn) minimum 1,000 ppm
    Iodine ( I ) minimum 100 ppm
    Vitamin A minimum IU units/lb 40,000
    Vitamin D3 minimum IU units/lb 4,000

It is to be fed to animals dry but I will mix it up in the ground. It says it has cane sugar, dried molasses and other natural flavors in it so that is a bonus. I may bring 10 gallons of water, some molasses, vanilla and a shovel out tomorrow and divide it up between two or three places. Picking the places will be the hardest part. I also wonder how well it will work since the soil is loose sand verse actual dirt like in other areas of the country.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 09-03-2011 at 11:35 AM.
    Firecat 400