Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Threshold Draw Weight

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

40lbs to 50lbs is what that bow is. I believe you need a new set of strings and cables. But if they are still looking good you can twist up the cable and gain the pounds you lost. What is the axle to axle length of the bow? If it is longer then the recommended axle to axle length, then the cable has stretched causing the pre load on the limbs to be less.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I measured the ata length and I got 35.25". The sticker on the bow says it should be 36.25. The data from the sticker: DW:40#-50#, DL: 26"-31", Shooting String: 94", Split String: 37", Brace:7 1/8",ATA: 36 1/4". I have the F7 module in right now. According to the Threshold Module Chart for 50# and 70# Bows the matching draw weight is 31". Being 5'8'' I know from measuring myself and from my ability to compare it to a 27'' draw it is not at 31''.

The bow is brand new. I set it put everything on it and I know for a fact it is new. I appreciate all the help I'm getting. I'm hoping we can figure this out. If pictures would help, let me know and I can try to post them.

Post Thanks / Like

Your ATA is definitely too short. An ATA length that is an inch short is not good for the limbs. Untwisting the cable a few twists will solve this problem. ATA doesn't have to be exact, but it needs to be within an 1/8 of an inch approx.

I hope you enjoy your Martin, and Welcome to the Martin Tech forums.

A.S
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Arrow Splitter View Post
    Your ATA is definitely too short.
    Do they check for stuff like this before it leaves the factory?

Also, would this be the reason I cannot adjust the draw weight?
    Last edited by enron77; 09-04-2011 at 01:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If they say they do they are wrong. We have new martins in here all the time and they are so far out of wack that we have to put them back into specs.

Hutch

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enron77 View Post
    would this be the reason I cannot adjust the draw weight?
    Don't think so. You need to check the brace height. It might have had a shorter string put on it to reduce the draw length instead of using a shorter module. This would drop the draw weight as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Don't think so. You need to check the brace height. It might have had a shorter string put on it to reduce the draw length instead of using a shorter module. This would drop the draw weight as well.
    That is a great possibility. My thoughts too. I was discussing that with arrow splitter.

Hutch

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how accurate it is but measuring the shoot string with a fishing line it was under about 90, shorter than the 94 it should be. I'll get a better reading tomorrow when I take it to the shop. As for adjusting the draw weight, I was not able to tighten or loosen the limb bolts, even with an allen rench and light tapping with a hammer. Have any of you encountered limb bolts that tough to turn?

Also, brace height is 7.75 inches as opposed to the 7 1/8" it has listed for the bow.
    Last edited by enron77; 09-04-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lets start out all over.
    1. Get a socket Allen key, that will fit in a ratchet, so you can get the leverage you need to loosen or tighten the limb bolts.
    2. Once you can loosen the limb bolts. Loosen the top one 2 turns then the bottom one 2 turns. Do this until you see the end of the bolt in the barrel nut on the riser.
    3. Take a picture of the string routing to remember how it goes back on.
    4. Twist or untwist the string and cable to the correct length.
    5. Re assemble by reversing these instructions.

Once you have done this the nocking point will need to be changed. But the bow should be close to the specs. That is providing they didn't replace the string with a shorter one. If they did you will need a string set. I can set you up with that I am a custom string builder. But lets see first where you are at when you are done. You can do all your own work at home with out a press. We can walk you through it if you want.

Hutch

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by enron77 View Post
    measuring the shoot string with a fishing line it was under about 90, shorter than the 94 it should be. brace height is 7.75 inches as opposed to the 7 1/8" it has listed for the bow.
    Sounds like the string is too short. Take it back and get the correct string and module for it.