Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 60 vs 70#

Post Thanks / Like

Default 60 vs 70#

I have been looking around a little on this lately and I know there is a thread lingering around here. Is there a significant performance difference with a 60# bow that is maxed - figured maybe 60-63# if bottomed out? - compared to a 70# that is backed down to 62-64#?

I currently have a 70# that I am pulling 64-67, don't know exactly, and don't have any problems with it. I don't know that I'll really ever need to shoot a full 70#, but could if I really wanted to - so that had me thinking about maybe getting 60# for my next bow. I was reading on AT some guys that like the 60# and are getting pretty good numbers in fps/KE for hunting as well.

Thoughts?
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I never saw a difference. I have had both one at 60lbs and one set a 63lbs. Both Bengals. Both shot well. Both preformed well.

HUTCH
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 70# limbs on my Onza but it is set to 62# or thereabouts. I got it that way so that I can work my way back up to 70# after hunting season is over to late now to mess with it and then have to resight and everything else. It seems to shoot just fine to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Take a 60# bow set for 60# and a 70# bow backed down to 60# and the former will perform better, but it very very slight. The 60#er will be a little more quiet because the rigging is tighter and it will be just a couple fps faster because it is being used more efficiently, but let's put it this way. If you once draw 70# and now prefer to shoot 60-62# the difference is not worth going out and buying another bow----unless you just have a hankering for something new or are looking for a divorce or an excuse for getting one. LOL.

If you are getting a new one or just starting out then you'll find that most 60#ers will peak out at about 61# to 63# anyway. A couple twists to the cables could make it upwards of 65# which really isn't going to hurt anything, especially the limbs. Those same limbs on a bow with different geometry might be used for 70#.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Take a 60# bow set for 60# and a 70# bow backed down to 60# and the former will perform better, but it very very slight. The 60#er will be a little more quiet because the rigging is tighter and it will be just a couple fps faster because it is being used more efficiently, but let's put it this way. If you once draw 70# and now prefer to shoot 60-62# the difference is not worth going out and buying another bow----unless you just have a hankering for something new or are looking for a divorce or an excuse for getting one. LOL.

If you are getting a new one or just starting out then you'll find that most 60#ers will peak out at about 61# to 63# anyway. A couple twists to the cables could make it upwards of 65# which really isn't going to hurt anything, especially the limbs. Those same limbs on a bow with different geometry might be used for 70#.
    Good deal. Yeah, I'm planning on a second bow eventually. Not in any rush to do so just yet. I shoot the 08 Cheetah in my sig right now and I have it a few turns out. It is comfortable right now where it is, can shoot for a while without getting tired and like I said if I wanted to I could crank it down, I would just want to get some heavier arrows first. I like the idea of if I am only pulling the 60-65# range, to just go for a 60# bow and have the chance that it will shoot better than the same with 70# limbs backed out.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Some 60# only go to 58#. The only issue I have with winding a bow down is noise sometimes. It makes the limbs more parallel which could be a problem with certain limbs too. You might find that 67# suits you just fine and I wouldn't try to get that sort of weight out of a 60#.

I don't think a 60# bow maxed out @ 60# will be much faster than a 70# @ 60# anyway. At least with the 70# you can increase the weight easily.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure if they still offer them, but my bow is an 02 and it is 50-65 lbs. The shop owner said he had to call and order it that way, but if it is still something that can be done it may give you another option.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    I have been looking around a little on this lately and I know there is a thread lingering around here. Is there a significant performance difference with a 60# bow that is maxed - figured maybe 60-63# if bottomed out? - compared to a 70# that is backed down to 62-64#?

I currently have a 70# that I am pulling 64-67, don't know exactly, and don't have any problems with it. I don't know that I'll really ever need to shoot a full 70#, but could if I really wanted to - so that had me thinking about maybe getting 60# for my next bow. I was reading on AT some guys that like the 60# and are getting pretty good numbers in fps/KE for hunting as well.

Thoughts?
    There are a number of ways to increase bow speed. types of strings and cables. lose of cable twist. going with a lighter spined arrow and lighter broadhead. speed balls. string silencers. the type of peep sight. to name a few.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Take a 60# bow set for 60# and a 70# bow backed down to 60# and the former will perform better, but it very very slight. The 60#er will be a little more quiet because the rigging is tighter and it will be just a couple fps faster because it is being used more efficiently........
    I haven't compared any in many years, but that had been mine finding also.......on couple pairs of bows I tried, it was a bit more improvement on the quieter part than the speed gain.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

OK so we're talking about a second bow somewhere down the road. In terms of speed try doing it this way. Instead of the slow single cam try a 60# bow with the Cat/Nitro or whatever the name will be changed to at the time. The binary cam is about 15 to 20 fps faster than the single cam when both bows are set up the same. Or you have the option of shooting your present arrows and getting the same speed, but at about 8# less draw weight. This 8# less makes the binary cam feel a lot smoother, very close in feel to the single cam.

Put another way to get the same speed you have to shoot the single cam bow at 7-8# more draw weight than the binary.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver