Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 60 vs 70#

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    OK so we're talking about a second bow somewhere down the road. In terms of speed try doing it this way. Instead of the slow single cam try a 60# bow with the Cat/Nitro or whatever the name will be changed to at the time. The binary cam is about 15 to 20 fps faster than the single cam when both bows are set up the same. Or you have the option of shooting your present arrows and getting the same speed, but at about 8# less draw weight. This 8# less makes the binary cam feel a lot smoother, very close in feel to the single cam.

Put another way to get the same speed you have to shoot the single cam bow at 7-8# more draw weight than the binary.
    Yeah, eventually I will look at another. I am sure it would be one of the newer duals that are out there. I like the single, have no complaints on it. The older cheetah my dad has that I had been shooting had a dual cam conversion on it, but was still set for 67-70#

At the same time with the original post, looking back on it, I don't know that I am going to be completely obsessed with speed, but rather overall performance and efficiency. The speed is a bonus - the quietness is a must. This is all speculation to something I haven't even had a chance to witness first hand yet, with my lighter arrow weight and the bow I have now. I honestly have no clue what speed this rig is getting, but I like how it shoots right now. I figure, if in the future, I have something that is naturally faster than my current, I could go to a heavier arrow and gain some more energy and momentum. This could all be for not, if I find that my lighter arrow and general speed right now is more than enough for the type of hunting I will be doing.

I don't even know if any of that even makes sense.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Just sitting here reading this thread while watching ted nuggent hunt in his "sacred hunting ground" and he said he shoots his bow at 48 pounds... I don't know if we all make too much of a deal over speed and kinetic energy and all that stuff, but a quiet accurate shot will bring down anything. I had a complete pass through on a black bear years ago with a Darton trail master that Maxed out at 55 pounds or so. Shoot what your comfortable with.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

I think that just about any compound bow has plenty of KE to take down deer sized game. Kansas just passed a new reg that allows down to a 35 draw weight on longbows and recurves. I think even the Genesis and other kids compounds would create an equivalent energy. The general consensus is that 66# of KE is enough for dangerous game, and most bows come fairly close to that with a hunting set-up.
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wick View Post
    Just sitting here reading this thread while watching ted nuggent hunt in his "sacred hunting ground" and he said he shoots his bow at 48 pounds... I don't know if we all make too much of a deal over speed and kinetic energy and all that stuff, but a quiet accurate shot will bring down anything. I had a complete pass through on a black bear years ago with a Darton trail master that Maxed out at 55 pounds or so. Shoot what your comfortable with.
    Squishy as he puts it. That is where this kinda came from. I wouldn't go down to a 50 - but a 60 i would have no problem with if it is going to give me the same thing I can get out of my 70. Nice thing is - either way - if I were to get a 60# for my next bow, I'm sure it will be naturally faster than my current set up anyway just because of higher IBO ratings.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Kansas just passed a new reg that allows down to a 35 draw weight on longbows and recurves.
    It can be enough but I hope they recommend fixed cut on impact heads otherwise some idiot might try using mechanical's!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    It can be enough but I hope they recommend fixed cut on impact heads otherwise some idiot might try using mechanical's!
    Agree - I think that should be a requirement at that low of a poundage.

Post Thanks / Like

I love shooting my little 52# Alien X and altho I have only used it to hunt Turkeys with, so far, I would not hesitate to use it on Deer, or even Elk.
    It shoots a 386gn arrow at 281.5fps which is only 13.8fps slower than my 61.5# AX with the same arrow.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    It shoots a 386gn arrow at 281.5fps.
    Similar speed to my 71# PSE Mach X, only 24 rains lighter?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spiker View Post
    I love shooting my little 52# Alien X and altho I have only used it to hunt Turkeys with, so far, I would not hesitate to use it on Deer, or even Elk.
    It shoots a 386gn arrow at 281.5fps which is only 13.8fps slower than my 61.5# AX with the same arrow.
    I would venture to say that is probably faster or just as fast as my Cheetah with my settings at 64ish# with around a 340grain arrow ... Thinking a 60# AX/Nemesis may be in my future if I come across a good deal

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    I would venture to say that is probably faster or just as fast as my Cheetah with my settings at 64ish# with around a 340grain arrow ... Thinking a 60# AX/Nemesis may be in my future if I come across a good deal
    Looks like you may be right.......Had a couple minutes so ran stated info w/couple assumptions thru program........using 305 IBO as low end of Cheetah, 64lbs, 29"draw, and a 100gr point on GT Velocity (not knowing, used 28" 400 w/Blazers so many others seem to use = 348gr), program calc'd out 277fps. Just under 60ft/lbs KE
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove