Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Can You Tell If A Deer Is Of Harvestable Size?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How Can You Tell If A Deer Is Of Harvestable Size?

I know that deer here in SW OK are certainly smaller in stature than the corn fed deer in MN where I grew up. So I'm trying to come up with some good ways to age a doe or buck from looking at them. Are there any reliable ways to look at a deer and determine if it is a shooter or not? I mean beside seeing a 10 point buck! One that arrow is released it is too late to change your mind. I'm afraid my son will shoot anything that walks in front of him, especially a buck. I also don't want to shoot too young of deer in the heat of the moment.

To the seasoned hunter these may seem like a stupid questions, but my son and I are not seasoned hunters. The bottom line is I want us to be a responsible archers.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone's definition of a "Shooter" is different. A shooter for you, may be a let 'em walk for me and vice versa. I'd check out some searches on field aging. There are some good tips out there that will help you figure out roughly what age deer you are looking at based on body characteristics and build. The check/brisket/bell/rump are all good signs.

As far as does go, I'll just be giving them a rough guess - if I like the size, done deal. If it she is clearly small - I'll let her go. Although, first doe I see this year that doesn't have spots and has a decent size small/large is gonna get it.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

It can be hard, especially if it's a lone deer. If it's two babes with their mother then it's easier. That being said, if you want something unique to mount then those little critters with spots fill the bill. LOL.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

No Bambis wanted here Barry. I'm not trophy hunting either. I just want something in between. Honestly I don't even care if it is a buck or not. My kid is horn hunting. Gramps has taken him rifle hunting the last 2 years and has let him shoot what I think was too small. Of course I wasn't there to say wait and G-Pa won't say no.
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I also don't want to shoot too young of deer in the heat of the moment.
    Just a part of hunting, you need to be able to say yes or no not only for size but for shot angle, distance, etc. Don't stress about it, have fun!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post

To the seasoned hunter these may seem like a stupid questions, but my son and I are not seasoned hunters. The bottom line is I want us to be a responsible archers.
    That's definitely not a stupid question. I have passed up a couple deer do to them being too small. It's really your call as to whether the deer is a shooter or not.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

If it doesn't have white dots!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Sharxfan View Post
    If it doesn't have white dots!!!
    And ain't with Mama
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Dutch: If it bleeds, we can kill it.
    Predator movie.

Post Thanks / Like

im in it for the food,so that being said..if it walks i will shoot it