Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shadowcat Risers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    I would, both call and send pics. I'd hate to see you have one fail and be injured or at the least lose a bow for not reporting it - save your email and whatever email you get in return.

Forgot. Some the 2010s got out with the the dowel hole too shallow or the dowel too long or maybe the bolts. I forget which. This is why mine had to go back. The Shadowcat I got back the 2011 seem solid as rock.
    Sonny,
    In the new 2011 catalog they say the Shadowcat has a CNC machined solid block alum. riser, did they do away with the 3 piece units for 2011?
    Who is it I would talk to at Martin?
    Don.
    Last edited by Don B; 09-08-2011 at 11:44 AM.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don B View Post
    Sonny,
    In the new 2011 catalog they say the Shadowcat has a CNC machined solid block alum. riser, did they do away with the 3 piece units for 2011?
    Who is it I would talk to at Martin?
    Don.
    that's the trick wording they use to deceive you.it is machined from solid aluminum,but 3 different pieces of solid aluminum!!!!!!!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Forgot. Some the 2010s got out with the the dowel hole too shallow or the dowel too long or maybe the bolts. I forget which.

Quote Originally Posted by jdduffy View Post
    that's the trick wording they use to deceive you.it is machined from solid aluminum,but 3 different pieces of solid aluminum!!!!!!!
    Yes and what is this 'block' is actually made from, cast, forged, etc? Martin needs to use extruded one piece risers.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

One, machining a large piece there is a possibility of heat build up and if screwed up through maching that's one long chunk of aluminum to toss in the scrap tub.
    With cnc's its not likely but having one piece is more expensive in the first place, needs a larger chunk of metal which means more waste. That's why extruding the basic shape of the riser makes so much sense, its stronger, wastes very little.

Two, if the riser were to bend wouldn't it be cheaper to just replace the bent section instead of the whole riser? I don't know, but thought it should be brought up.
    Perhaps but does it happen? I don't think that is the reason behind the 3 piece riser, smaller block less cost.