Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: nocks falling out

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default nocks falling out

    Hello
    I've been lurking for a while. This is my first post. I flyfish. hunt birds and started shooting a 3D course last year. This year I have enough confidence in my ability to bow hunt for deer. I live in central NH (Sanbornton). I have recently begun having a problem.


    I have a 2010 Fire Cat 29" draw length @61 lbs and I have been experiencing nocks falling out in flight. This has happened with bothGold tip 5575 expedition hunters and 5575 XT hunters. I'm not opposed to gluing the nocks in but that seems to be simply masking the problem. The nocks don't appear loose and today I was shooting XThunters for the first time . On the last 3 D target (# 15) the nock came out on the way to the target. I had hoped switching to the XT hunters would correct the problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    David Rivers
    DAR@metrocast.net

  2. #2
    String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Gilmanton, New Hampshire
    Posts
    6,078
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddogtwo View Post
    Hello
    I've been lurking for a while. This is my first post. I flyfish. hunt birds and started shooting a 3D course last year. This year I have enough confidence in my ability to bow hunt for deer. I live in central NH (Sanbornton). I have recently begun having a problem.


    I have a 2010 Fire Cat 29" draw length @61 lbs and I have been experiencing nocks falling out in flight. This has happened with bothGold tip 5575 expedition hunters and 5575 XT hunters. I'm not opposed to gluing the nocks in but that seems to be simply masking the problem. The nocks don't appear loose and today I was shooting XThunters for the first time . On the last 3 D target (# 15) the nock came out on the way to the target. I had hoped switching to the XT hunters would correct the problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

    David Rivers
    DAR@metrocast.net
    Hey David, I live right down the road from you. I am in Gilmanton. The first thing that came to mind is the center serving is to thick. This will cause the arrow nock to stay some what gripped when released. Thus the nock falls off in flight. It is possible they used the wrong size for the center serving.
    Some here use a emery board and lightly file the nocks to fit slightly snug. Not tight at all. I used a smaller diameter serving and it solved my problem.
    BTW welcome to the forum!

    Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I've had trouble with them too but not during flight. It seems like the specs or tolerances have changed or something, the standard GT nocks don't fit very tight anymore.

    I would just glue them in with superglue.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    147
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Center serving is a good possibility or just poor fitting nocks. Just use a plastic bag over end of the arrow and shove the nock in the arrow. The plastic bag will fill up any gap and you still can remove them is one trick. Another that I have used is to on the raised portion of the nock dab several coats of fingernail polish to the portion that goes into the arrow.
    '08 Firecat a righty
    '06 Slayer a lefty
    "97 High Country Protec

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    The plastic bag will fill up any gap and you still can remove them is one trick.
    Unless the plastic from the bag was even all round the shaft it might throw out the nock alignment.

    Quote Originally Posted by rjd View Post
    dab several coats of fingernail polish to the portion that goes into the arrow.
    Haven't tried that, should work. Fletchtite is good if you need to remove them too.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SW OK
    Posts
    1,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Good tricks mentioned already and I would add one more thing to look for. Check to make sure the nock end of the arrow isn't split. Put the nock in and try spreading the arrow shaft gently looking for cracks around the shaft.

    For the plastic bag I would start with something very thin first: saran wrap or a wal-mart bag. You don't want to split the end of the arrow shaft!

    If you are a mechanic type and have it laying around I would try some blue LocTite 242 or 243.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 09-05-2011 at 07:05 AM.
    Firecat 400

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    SW OK
    Posts
    1,527
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree that nocks shouldn't fall out. I thought that LocTite being much less permanent that super glue would be better solution if it came to that.

    Does this happen on all arrows or just some? GTs have .246 inner diameter if that helps you in your nock search. I find that my Hammerhead string with .020 serving material is pretty tight on nocks. The only other serving size I have is .016 and it is way too small.
    Firecat 400

  8. #8
    Super Moderator bfisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Middletown, Pa, USA
    Posts
    11,554
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    I agree that nocks shouldn't fall out. I thought that LocTite being much less permanent that super glue would be better solution if it came to that.

    Does this happen on all arrows or just some? GTs have .246 inner diameter if that helps you in your nock search. I find that my Hammerhead string with .020 serving material is pretty tight on nocks. The only other serving size I have is .016 and it is way too small.
    Mark,

    Something you can try is a couple short pieces of serving laid along the string and then serve over that with the .016. This is just like having a couple more strands of string only it'll just be under the serving, making the whole things slightly larger in diameter. Another option is to use the .020, but serve it tighter. There is no cut and dry formula for serving size as different string materials have different diameters, how many strands are used, and how tightly the serving is put on.

    I use Easton CB bushings and G-nocks almost exclusively. The nocks have an ID of .098". I try to end up with a final serving/ string diameter of .010" or a hair less. The nocks will be a little snug but as you shoot the bow the serving will wear a little and the serving will compress making for a nice fit.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    415
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I would not glue your nocks in with superglue. It makes replacing a damaged nock really difficult and you cannot change your fletching orientation while tuning your bow.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    1,666
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    something is wrong
    My nocks are genuine GT's and the shafts aren't split, bs excuse that is. I wonder if GT is getting them made somewhere else or they are just a bad batch.

    Quote Originally Posted by bob cooly View Post
    you cannot change your fletching orientation while tuning your bow.
    Have no need to change them once I've tuned a bow so it doesn't matter to me. If you don't use too much super glue you can still get them out. Just a drop will hold them tight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •