Thread: Shot my new arrows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shot my new arrows

So I recently bought gold tip velocity hunters, I cut them down to size, inserted and fletched with orange and white blazers. Did 6 this way, anyway finished weight is 306 gr. They fly great! Had an 1.5 inch group at 25 yds with them, I'm usually 2.5 inches at that distance. They hit 3 inches high from where I was sigted at 25 yds. I was shooting 360gr arrows. I went from 255 to 276 fps! They shoot fast, and accurate, and just as quiet. I love it! I'm so happy with them. I should have 51lb of kenetic energy so should be plenty for deer.I bought hot pink blazers to go with the white for the ones I will use to hunt. The orange and white are for practice.
    Anyway I resighted in the 25 yd pin by moving the whole sight up, havent checked my 35 yd yet. I only keep 2 pins, one 25 and 35. Not sure if the set yds will be different since its shooting flatter. If its flatter then I think I may just put one pin for 30, and if I'm not 8" high at 10 or 15 yds I may get rid of the second pin. I dont think I feel comfortable shooting at a deer farther then 30 yds anyway.
    I absolutely love my bowtech equalizer. We put it on the scale thinking it was set at 60lbs from the guy I bought it from. It was set at 53 lbs, has a little harder draw cycle then my old exile. I have a 26" draw, and with 306gr arrows I'm at 276. I'm thrilled, it so much faster then the exile, quiter as well, and seems to shoot so much flatter. For being a t rex with short arms I feel like 276 is smokin'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ford View Post
    I have a 26" draw, and with 306gr arrows I'm at 276
    Pretty fast for a 26" draw & 53#. Congrats!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I'm thrilled with how the bow and arrows are performing. Looking forward to tweaking and seeing what pins and distance before the season starts. Thanks for the info sonny. I like to keep things simple and I know I will be excited when a buck comes in for the first time. I want to point and shoot.
    Thanks destroyer, I feel great about the speed, control, and quietness of the bow. Its not super fast, but for my dimensions it is hard to beat.
    "If Darwin saw the same sunrise and sunset, that I see from a duck marsh, or my tree stand; then he would know there is a God, and that He created all of it." -Ford-

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I feel great about the speed, control, and quietness of the bow.
    Was it a bit of a relief to get to a faster speed finally?

Its not super fast, but for my dimensions it is hard to beat.
    Once the speed gets up to around 275 fps there is a real benefit from how flat it will shoot. I would like to get my hands on a genuine 340 fps bow just to see what difference it really makes.

Post Thanks / Like

It really was a relief to get the speed I was after. The bow really shoots a lot flatter then the exile at 235. It makes my range estimations have a little play one way or the other. And wether real or imagined it makes me feel better about the money I've invested in archery. It bothered me to spend good money on a bow and get the same performance as my friends bow that was 15 years old. The arrows and speed were kind of icing on the cake.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It bothered me to spend good money on a bow and get the same performance as my friends bow that was 15 years old.
    Would have bothered me too.

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    You'd think with all the arrows, tip weights and shooting machines there'd be some formula for momentum or what works best for arrow weight to speed.
    The KE calculators give the same amount of penetration force with a higher arrow speed/light weight as a heavy/slow combination. Problem with KE is that it doesn't explain how quickly the arrows looses force due to the light mass of the arrow.

Not a big issue though as there is enough penetration to do the job, usually.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Gold Tip Velocity as well and love them. My finished arrow is around 340grain and couldn't tell you how fast, never had my bow on a chrono. I shoot a Cheetah with D-Loop, G5 Meta and Whiskers on the string. I'd definitely like to see where this bow is at in relation to what the calculators claim, I don't think I am anywhere near that. Also would like to see the difference if/when I get a bow that IBOs up near 340 vs. my 310-315 Cheetah.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff