Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my first kill with a Martin!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Got my first kill with a Martin!

hey everybody, just wanted a little report on my recent hunt. As some of you know I purchased a Martin Cheetah over the winter, and after several problems with limbs, string wear, etc. I finally got the thing shooting beautifully just in time for bow season. I hunt in North Dakota and the season started last friday (the 2nd) at noon. My dad and I headed out to hunt on sat. night (even though the wind was at 15-25 mph gusting over 30). We both thought the wind may die down enough for some action to happen and we had a little.... on our way in my dad spooked a tiny buck and nice doe out on their way to feed, and this was at 515 pm! They cruised right past me and back to the bedding area.... Around 720 I had a doe and fawn come feed about 25 yards away from my stand, but she was on high alert, and something on me caught her eye. I stayed as still as possible but she would not take her eyes off me. I was surprised she had a clue.... I wear realtree APHD, and have great backdrop behind me, but with the high winds, she was real spooky and they trotted off. The wind started to drop down to about a 10 mph breeze in the perfect direction..... The sun was going down fast and I thought my night was done, but I had a large mature doe walk in around 815 (15 minutes left of shooting time) I was antsy to see how my bow worked, as well as my first year using carbon arrows, and rage 2 blade broadheads. I knew that if I shot here, I'd still have a bow tag remaining, because I had a spare doe tag to use. That being said, I drew back, and was holding at full draw for a good couple minutes until she gave me a great side/quarting away shot, and I smoked her right through the back part of the left lung and centered on the right lung! I was VERY impressed with the quietness of the bow. The doe didn't flinch or jump the string, and it was easy to hold at full draw due to it's lightweight short ata, and 80% letoff. I really enjoyed having my nockturnal lighted nocks and was able to see my shot placement with ease. I however wasn't super impressed with the rage broadheads?? She ran about 120 yards and stopped on the edge of a willow patch. She stumbled around for a bit before it was too dark for me to see her. We waited a good hour after the shot and went out after her. The blood trail was DECENT, but not any better than my old PSE 3 blade broadheads. We did find large puddles where she was stopping, but lost sight of the bload and decided to come back in the morning. Turns out she was 20 yards from where we had stopped tracking, and about 200 yards from where she was shot. Overall I was very happy with the performance of my bow, just not super impressed with the rage 2 blade! I can't really complain though. The broadhead did bring the deer down, they hit RIGHT where my field points do, and I could have shot her in the heart. All in all I couldn't be happier with my Martin, I've got fresh meat in the freezer, and look forward to hunting the remainder of the season!
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations!

The only concern I have with the mechanical's is the shot angles and how it effects them opening. But I don't want to start a debate here, well done mate. Next a nice buck?

Post Thanks / Like

Good job PD. I hope to have my own soon as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats on your kill with a Martin Bow. I also got my first kill with my Rytera on the 2nd. I'm glad you got the bugs out of your bow. If you have pics, post up!. We use Fixed heads as Mechs are illegal. I had a issue with the performance of some 2 blade fixed broadheads so I'm going back to my GR Hades heads. I don't know why I changed heads.

Simon.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Cheetah

Well done, good hunt.
    I have taken my first doe with a Martin Cheetah as well, very happy with bow.
    Best of luck with next one.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats! My first was with a really old Cheetah - can't wait to get my first with my newer Cheetah. And as far as the broadheads go - I'm a firm believer in 3 is better than 2.
    2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    as far as the broadheads go - I'm a firm believer in 3 is better than 2.
    I second that. Even though I had two pass through's on a buck with 2 blade's. I'm definitely going back to three blade Broad heads.

Post Thanks / Like

good story and a good hunt to boot.doe is good eating.

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you, Dave. Two things I'd like to say. You are finding out that maybe mechanicals aren't all they're hyped to be. The second is that I've done my share of tracking in the dark and it's fairly common to find your animal close by once you run out of a blood trail.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    I'm a firm believer in 3 is better than 2.
    and 4 is even better yet! SLICK TRICKS,BABY!
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340