Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rattle Horns

Post Thanks / Like

Default Rattle Horns

Threw this up on AT ... not sure why ... but I figure you guys are going to be more of a help than the folks over there.

Opinions on this. I have been debating if I want to take the antlers from my first buck (only so far) and use them for rattling. I current have the skull cap, but haven't put them on a plaque or anything yet. It's been something on my mind for a while, that is why I haven't done it yet. Have been considering it because, they would be with me when I hunt and would be something I'll always remember and have with me.

I have other rattling tools, but nothing beats the sound of antler to antler in my opinion.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    I have been debating if I want to take the antlers from my first buck (only so far) and use them for rattling..
    I'm torn, it would be nice to mount it especially since its your first but it would be just as nice to use them to rattle, still a trophy in a way, a useful trophy. Will rattling with the real horns damage them too much?

Post Thanks / Like

They don't really get too dinged up... I personally use a set of sheds that I found... The cool thing about my sheds, is I am 90% sure that the antlers I use are the sheds from a deer I harvested that same year I found the sheds! (I just wish I rattled him in, it'd be a better story) On to you though my friend... that is a tough question. I personally mounted the first buck I got with a bow.... He just happens to be the largest buck I have ever taken, and is a memory I wanted to take advantage of. Overall I think you may regret taking those antlers out with you in the long run. I think this thread would be better if you posted a pic of the antlers....
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

I found some Muley sheds a couple years ago. They were only 2 points on each side. I drilled a hole at the bottom of each one and tied some rope in. They are great for rattling but it's harder with just 2 points for good contact. If you have a minimum of 3 on each side, I would use them. Post a pic please.

Post Thanks / Like

Was talking with my old man tonight about this also ... he made a good point ... you can get euro style plates/plaques to mount the antler up to that they use for sheds, I'll always have the antler and what if that buck rattles in a larger buck? That by itself I think sealed the deal for me. If my first buck can lead me to other bucks by using his antler, that is cool

As far as mounting him, he measure out to 104" so I can't say I would have mounted him. I'll never forget him and never forget that day, but I'm going to save the wall space and dollars for something a little larger

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

If my first buck can lead me to other bucks by using his antler, that is cool
    Very cool! Some people use the horn for knife grips which I think is a good use too.

As far as mounting him, he measure out to 104" so I can't say I would have mounted him.
    Wouldn't bother me what size it was. Like Double S said, any photo's of them?

Post Thanks / Like

7122_616951617162_31101004_36539404_534834_n.jpg

Didn't get as many pictures of him as I would have liked, it was pretty dark when we brought him home and all we had was cell phone cameras (before they were good cameras) and he was stiff as a board at that point and we just wanted to get him hung up and ready to go. This is just one that I put on FB, left side is the exit, he was quarter too as he was stalking down the doe that I shot 5 minutes before him. Didn't make a good shot on the doe, so she was laying down about ready to go and he walked in and tried to mount her, she got up and come closer to me, which brought him right to my tree. Have others on my computer HD that bombed =( so I am trying to get that recovered, just haven't been able to yet.

Might have them in snapfish too...so that could be good.

Found another decent picture.

Last edited by droppixel; 09-07-2011 at 04:35 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice buck! Its big enough to mount imo but I still like the idea of making a useful accessory out of it. Congrats!

Btw, what happened to the HD?

Post Thanks / Like

It just crashed. Not sure what actually happened to it, but it just stopped loading my OS - so I just got a new one instead of flashing that one, because there is a bunch of stuff on it that I want still. I was stupid and never did a back up ... ironically I was going to buy an external the week before to do a back up and never did.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice buck. Its gonna be a hard choice for sure.