Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: feathers or vanes

Post Thanks / Like

Default feathers or vanes

I shoot off the shelf with my Martin High-Speed bow as was intended. A friend of mine told me I should put an arrow rest on the bow because the arrows I was using had vanes instead of feathers. He told me you should only use the shelf if you shoot with feathers. Not a huge problem just wondered what everyone else thought about it.

PS. I used vanes because they were much cheaper and money is tight.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Very difficult to shoot vanes off the shelf. I know that some claim they have no problem because of 'archer paradox' but I could never get consistent arrow flight with them. Shooting with an elevated rest has other benefits too including being a little more forgiving of form and therefore making you more consistently accurate. It has it downside though, rests can fail so if your hunting always carry a spare rest.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Shooting with an elevated rest has other benefits too including being a little more forgiving of form and therefore making you more consistently accurate.
    Thanks. I made a quick rest to see how it would work. My shot was much better and I am even able to shoot from about 10 yards farther. It took a couple arrows to figure it out because my arows were hitting about 4 inches higher and a little to the right. My groups are amazing.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear. If you need help fine tuning the bow we can walk you through the whole process.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Glad you solved your problem....

I like feathers for most things but use vanes for backyard arrow plinking. I mean I really like feathers and use 5" right wing [like my politics] parabolics. Love the way they fly especially at long distances...
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Vanes of Feathers

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    I like feathers for most things but use vanes for backyard arrow plinking.
    I bought arrows with vanes for the price. However, they seem to fall appart quick. I've used feathers on my target bow but I have never used feathers on this bow. Do feathers last longer than vanes. I will use vanes on my upcoming hunt because that is what I have practiced with, but I need to buy new fletching.

Hey everyone, Vanes or Feathers?

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear. If you need help fine tuning the bow we can walk you through the whole process.
    This is the kind of thing that I do not know about. I just pick up the bow and shoot. I probably can use a lot of help with this. I shoot right handed and sometimes my arrows angle a little to the left on impact (at closer distances).

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by shaverd View Post
    However, they seem to fall appart quick.
    Vanes coming off?

Do feathers last longer than vanes.
    Nope, just fly heaps better. They require a bit more care too but you cant beat them for accuracy.

I shoot right handed and sometimes my arrows angle a little to the left on impact (at closer distances).
    What is the spine/model and your other specs like draw weight & draw length? Arrow could be a little underspined, try shooting a lighter a lighter field point if you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Vanes coming off?

The vanes are not coming off. They tend to split or tear and get holes in them.

One of the arrows was not useable so I fletched it with the wing feathers from a turkey I shot this year. I figured I would try it and experiment. It shot wonderful. Maybe I concentrated more when I shot that arrow or maybe it is better than the others. I don't know.

I also think I fixed my arrow problem today as well. I had my bow set at a 7 1/2" brace hight. I found the specs. for my bow on the internet and it should be at 8". I put a few twists in the string and set it at 8". My arrows seem to be flying straight.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

It shot wonderful. Maybe I concentrated more when I shot that arrow or maybe it is better than the others.
    Could be but feathers create more drag so they steer better, can't beat feathers!

I put a few twists in the string and set it at 8". My arrows seem to be flying straight.
    Good stuff. Brace height has a big effect on trad gear, changes more than just power stroke, etc.