Thread: What size/type Traditional bow to purchase.

Post Thanks / Like

Default What size/type Traditional bow to purchase.

I have started shooting again due to my kids enjoying their new Razorback re curves. I want to target shoot but may try hunting when I get consistent, some day years down the road. I used to shoot target as a teen. I have a draw approx. 30.8".(6'5", 270lbs) I'm not getting younger but was thinking of a Longbow of around 50-60#'s and 60-68". Could use any suggestions and advice.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jmartinnh View Post
    I want to target shoot but may try hunting when I get consistent, some day years down the road.
    If your looking to shoot targets then 40# is as much as you need really. With that long draw length you will be looking at 50# anyway but that depends on how you shoot. Most longbow archers bend their bow arm a fair bit to compensate for hand shock so your draw length might be a few inches shorter. At that weight you still will be able to hunt with it if you choose to do so.

The worse thing you can do for accuracy is shoot a bow that is too heavy so don't get caught up in the 'mucho' rubbish and pick a 60# bow. There is no way to develop proper form starting at the higher draw weights.

Have you considered an ILF recurve? That would be my choice but its not very 'traditional'.

Welcome to the forum.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not up to snuff on longbows, but with recurves as a general rule the longer the bow the more cast it will have, meaning speed, pound for pound of draw weight. With your height advantage it might be something to consider.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

My "mucho" runs in the traditional rather than the pull weight. The traditional Longbow is a discipline/skill I would like to experience and hopefully, someday, master. I have been reading much and understanding little by little. I do believe that as in photography, which I am experienced, many mistakenly think that expensive equipment will make up for experience and practice. I think I want to "kick it" old-old school. I appreciate and will use all the help I can get.

Post Thanks / Like

Martin trad bows are really great, but a little (or not very little) expensive. If you're looking for a cheaper longbow check Falco bows from Estonia. I'm thinking of buying one of their longbows - the Spirit.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

I just remeasure my draw using the 2.5 of wingspand and got 32". I have been known to pull a 31" arrow off the fin, if I'm not careful. Does this mean I must be careful not to over draw and damage a bow of certain size and draw weight? Am I less likely to damage a 60# bow over 40#? What else my I be unaware of?
    I was once told while looking at IFL recurves (PSE) that I needed 66".
    Thanks for all input.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Does this mean I must be careful not to over draw and damage a bow of certain size and draw weight?
    Yes, the longer the draw the longer the bow needs to be. Short bows create sharp angles so its not good for a clean release and its not good for the bows longevity.

Am I less likely to damage a 60# bow over 40#?
    No, you more likely to develop good shooting habits, good form with the lighter bow.

I was once told while looking at IFL recurves (PSE) that I needed 66".
    For your draw length its recommended to use a 70" bow for target. Standard 25" riser and long size limbs. If your going to use more traditional gear then 66" would be minimum. But it depends on what your real draw length is.

This might help http://www.archersreference.co.uk/download.html

Post Thanks / Like

The longer your draw is the more acute the string angle becomes, pinching your fingers. the longer bow lessens that pinch, allowing a better release.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade