Thread: The Great Flood of 2011

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Great Flood of 2011

How many of you east coast guys got effected by the rains from Lee? Here in central Pa. it started last Wednesday. I drive school bus part time
    and ended up taking kids home early that day. We got 13.5" of rain over a 24 hour period. Needless to say the stream and Susquehanna river
    couldn't handle the volume of that plus the onslaught of water from north of here.

Many homes got flooded, some completely covered. Some washed down the river and gone forever. People displaced from their homes. No electric or water for days. Here it is Monday and some places still inaccessible. Even though the water has subsided back within stream banks roads
    have been washed out making travel somewhat dangerous (don't drive through standing water).

I've been on standby status with the bus evacuating people to higher ground and/or taking some to various Red Cross shelters. I'm still in that
    mode as some will need to be transported back to their homes. In some cases, it's taking them back to total devastation. Most of these are
    elderly and I can't imagine how they will ever be able to clean things up.

I was very fortunate with my home. Virtually no water damage to speak of. Neighbors had water in their basements wiping out heating/air
    conditioning units or anything else of value. I've been helping some with cleaning things out. I feel bad for everybody and would like to help them all, but I'm just one person--can't do it all and I'm older than many affected but I do what I can. I can't sit back and watch people in misery when I fared so much better. Cleanup will take months

So how have you been affected?
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I posted a link on the Ireane thread, http://martinarchery.com/mtechforum/...ghlight=ireane but since then, Lee came along. It washed out my driveway again, but not as much damage as from Ireane. A couple towns over though, they had 100 kids stranded at the school as there were too many roads covered or washed out. By the end of the night they were down to only 8 kids they could not get home so those kids had to spend the night at the school. That's a first day of school that those kids will not forget.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

These were taken after Irene, but the same result after Lee DSC06009.JPGDSC06034.JPG
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

wish i could say i know what yall are going through,or i have been in your shoes,but i have not.the worst flood i seen was in 96 on the cost.i was young but still hitched a ride with the stagg chilli truck to dish out hot food and what not.you guys stay strong try and make the most of it and maybe think about moveing to oregon where nothing really happens but we got a bit of everything.lol.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to here about this guys. I can't imagine having such things happen and all you can do is watch the water rise and wait it out. It would be such a helpless feeling. Barry that is great that you are helping the others where you can. They will appreciate every thing you do.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Mark, but I am just a neighbor to some of these folks. Most of the damage is in lower lying areas. Fortunately I'm about 300' above the river. I often say that if and when it would ever happen, if the river ever gets this high I'll have my ark finished by that time. You're right though. It is such a helpless feeling just having to sit back till the water recedes. Kids should be back to school tomorrow here in my district so I'll be busy with that, then helping a few friends dig the mud out of their houses and clean up. Back breaking work, but it helps keep me in shape without having to spend time in a gym. And lord knows there are many that need the help.

There are national guardsmen/women helping to protect against looters. Surveying the damage I have been stopped and turned around by them several times. Rather than get confrontational with them I have thanked them for their time and efforts and doing their job. They aren't carrying weapons but just their presence keeps things in check.

One area where I transported some older folks from there were four people who decided not to leave. Poorer, older folks who felt they had to stay behind so their big screen TV didn't get looted. The next morning Firefighters went in in boats and fished one guy out of a tree (alive) and transprted him to safety. He endangered his life and the lives of rescuers for the sake of a TV. It was probably his only valuable possession.

It's sad, but life goes on. It has happened before back in 1972. We dug out then and we'll do it again, hopefully many years from now.

Moneyman, although a different location those pics look very familiar. About the only good that can come of such devastation is that it will create jobs. One thing we can be thankful for here in the US is that there are always lots of volunteers from everywhere that migrate in from all over to help those in need.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    I said it somewhere else; I wish the Big Guy would spread around the wealth (rain). My yard is so dried out you can stick your hand down in the cracks.
    I'm with you Sonny, I have cracks all in my lawn, big ones that some I had to fill with sand so someone didn't get hurt. I've had foundation damage and recently had to have piers installed to restore order. My chimney was the worst, it was separating from the house. I could have bought the wife a nice used car with the money I spent with the foundation repair company. This drought is a slow death for those in the SW. both economically and damage. I wish we could help out those with the flooding by taking a portion of their water. I know the Lord works in mysterious ways, but flooding in one part while drought in the other makes Him that much more mysterious.

However, as bad as the drought is, I wouldn't trade it for flooding! I feel for those of you suffering it's effects.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

We were blessed, since no one in this area (Gilmanton, NH) was flooded as far as I know. We got a lot of rain, driving was not fun, but that's about it.
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com