Thread: Unique Broad Head Test

Post Thanks / Like

Default Unique Broad Head Test

This guy has done some pretty in-depth penetration testing of many types of broad heads. I haven't broke the code on all of it but it is still fun to watch. It is in three videos so it will take a bit to watch them all. He said more was to come but I guess he hasn't got around to it yet. Bummer.

Sorry Sonny, no broadband for you. Just keep doing what you are doing, it's working good.

http://broadheadhunter.blogspot.com/
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

I can't wait for the last of the videos. For right now though, I am pretty happy with how my Wasp Bullets preformed. Thanks for the link.
    2012 Alien X

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting but in the end...... meh.

Post Thanks / Like

What part let you down?

I was surprised the boards didn't break any blades off.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 09-08-2011 at 04:22 AM.
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    What part let you down?
    None, just feeling meh.

Post Thanks / Like

This whole thing came about because his forward opening BH failed him on an elk hunt. The blades folded all the way back to the arrow shaft and gave him a very small cutting diameter.

He uses masonite boards spaced at 1.5" apart to slow the arrow down. When questioned as to why he didn't use the scapula of an animal he said he wanted something consistent to test on all BHs to make it a fair comparison. He shoots a lot of BHs into the material to see which goes in the furthest but it's not quiet that simple. He has other things that fall into the equation because it seems that just counting the penetrated boards alone don't make it a winner.

I'm impressed with how tough all the BHs are. I have some NAP Thunderheads and they faired ok. The traditional old COC Magnus and the like didn't fair to well which surprised me.I also found it funny he didn't include the rage BHs.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Well, I'm not quite sure what the sharpness test amounts to. Haven't got the videos downloaded yet, but have seen the string test/results; It seems the arrow is losing force or using up force to cut the string, thus hindering punch on the game animal. The only thing is, broadheads are so sharp you can cut yourself just looking at them. Oddly, the NAP Spitfire is deemed sharpest, but then being a mechanical broadhead what sharpness/punch it possesses is hindered by activating the blades upon impact on the game animal. So, the only thing being checked is nothing but sharpness of the blades.

Way back I noted the NAP Braxe fixed broadhead. Radical looking for sure, it's so sharp just picking one up I could feel the blades trying to bite into my finger tips. That's sharp.
    Sonny, I don't want to spoil the video for you, but I guess the Spitfire had to be the sharpest since in the test, they did not open on contact. They finally opened on the second board. I would hate to have to punch through a board to get my broadhead to open.
    2012 Alien X

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Not opening in the test really doesn't prove anything to me. Boards don't give like deer hair, a bit of skin, flesh, and bone on the way in. Seems boards solid surfaces keeps the blades "fixed" for a bit. I think I posted the thread on the feller that wanted to see what his mechanical would do on hard plastic bucket. All it did was blow a hole the bucket, but the same mechanical broadhead is deemed one of the finest on the market. Read down through. Ain't nothing like piling on someone

http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1316843
    Well, since I have never used mechanicals, my experience is limited, however, your explanation makes sense. The AT thread was hilarious. Thanks for the laugh.
    2012 Alien X

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I am sticking to fixed blade, mechanical do not impress me! Some like them. But I have seen them not even open in a foam block. That to me is not what I want to happen. The test is good and it opens your eyes to how a broad head reacts to stress under force.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Back like a 125 years ago, when my brother and I started hunting over on Santa Cruz Island for sheep and pigs,(off the coast of Ventura Ca.) we wanted a head the would get passthroughs on big Moreno Rams that were soaking wet. The hunting season on the island was in the fall and winter months so there was alot of rain. There was no such thing as a mechanical broadhead back then.
    There were a few broadheads that had replaceable blades though.
    So My brother and I did some testing that was as close to shooting a wet sheep as we could find.
    We took a mattress and soaked it for about two hours then hoisted it up,backed it with a sheet of one inch plywood and shot every broadhead we could find and used the one that went all the way through and kept going. And also to see what head was the toughest we shot them into red bricks. This was all done at 30 yards.
    The Broadhead that did the best was the Black Diamond Delta by Zwickey.
    I stll haven't seen a broadhead that performs as good as far as I am concerned and I would still use them if I still hunted. In fact I still have about 2 doz. of them and am waiting for Harvest Time to release the screw in insert for the HT-4's. I want to see how they fly, I think they would be an awsome hunting set up.
    Ok, enough from me...carry on.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.