Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crazy arrow flight - really high!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crazy arrow flight - really high!

Not sure what to think of this or how it happened really. I was shooting my Cheetah / GT Velocity 400 / Apache Rest / Trufire 3D Hunter release. I lined up and put 5 on the money at 20 yards. First shot I stepped back to 30 yards and whooosh arrow sails right over the target into my garage and actually threaded the needle on my gas grill luckily. went right over the tank and under the grill ... Luckily the only bad part of this whole thing was the arrow broke in 2 - everything else is good, aside from the strange arrow flight.

I immediately thought my sights may have moved. I looked at them, I have them marked, nope not the sight. So that left me with the rest. A few weeks ago, I had a freak shot that I couldn't explain. The arrow dived right after I released the shot. This was the opposite, so I am thinking the arm may not have been all the way up or that it was up too long?? Does that sound like a possibility? I don't know if the string somehow is getting hung up on the cable or what? So I loosened the set screw and re-set the string. It pulled through much shorter than it was before. Set that and took a few shots, still high. I had to leave the house, so I'll be tinkering tomorrow, but just wondering if anything stands out to anyone here.

I touch back tomorrow after I figure it out, because I know I will - don't have much time left before the season to have something goofy like this going on.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a rest issue to me, could be a collision with the fletching. Have you rotated the fletching so the cock feather is up? And check the timing, the rest might be staying up too long or it could be a mechanical issue, sticking sometimes.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't changed anything on it. The one random shot was about 5 minutes after 5 solid shots at 20 yards. I'm sure I slide the knot of the pull string, so I'm convinced that has something to do with it right now. I'll be checking the string again tomorrow and getting some more shots into the target. Need to get this solved tomorrow - have a 3D next weekend I would like to shoot and season is just right around the corner.

Hopefully re-setting the string to proper pull is all that is needed. I would hate to have to reset all my pins and adjust everything out to 50 yards again. Everything has been totally spot on.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a drop away I made out of a two prong. I know when I would move the string that was from the rest to the cable even an eighth of an inch it would move my arrow 10inches or so.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got back from shooting a few arrows - reset the string and feel good at 20 yards again. Haven't taken a 30 yet, need to move the cars out of the driveway. I'll probably be able to do that this afternoon. The string definitely moved, when I pull the string taught to reset and then drew back to set the length, it is much shorter than it was before. Not going to trim any of the excess off just in case it slides and I need to set it again without having to cut another line of cord.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Rest stuck up perhaps?
    I have a NAP 2100 drop that does if the tension is turned up, not my favorite rest.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had this happen to me twice this year. Once last week and once about 2 months ago. To this day I have no clue as to what or why it happend. Both sailed high, way high, like almost a foot over my block target. When I usually have a flyer it's usually only by about 5 to 6 inches, these were crazy high! I have a fully contained hostage rest, not a drop away. Thought that maybe I absent mindedly loaded my arrow upside down? I don't know. Maybe let the bow torque upwards upon release? Kinda kicks your confidence level down a little when you miss like that, but both times I went right back to grouping. I don't have an answer for ya but i know how ya feel, been there. just hope it doesn't happen at the wrong time.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wick View Post
    Thought that maybe I absent mindedly loaded my arrow upside down?.
    Done that, also put the arrow above the dloop when hunting and wondered WTF when it fell short.

Quote Originally Posted by droppixel View Post
    Trufire 3D Hunter release.
    Has all this started with the new release?

Post Thanks / Like

Is it possible that you left the draw string too long on the launcher arm, and that it somehow got bound up, causing the rest to raise more than it normally does? Been looking my Apache over, and that's the only thing I could figure out that might cause it. Also, I always put a little serving right above where the draw cord goes into my cables. Keeps the cord from slipping up, and causing low shots.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

Can NAP drop away rests (or any drop aways for the matter) over extend that much? My Trophy Taker is either at full height, or it didn't come up all the way causing the low shots.
    I could see the launcher arm maybe sticking up until a vane whacked it and throwing arrow off, as mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    ........also put the arrow above the dloop when hunting and wondered WTF when it fell short.
    That's one one those "been-there-done-that" things for me too. At a 3D shoot, drew back at fox sitting in rocks at only 25-26yds and my arrow exploded on rock below.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove