Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Crazy arrow flight - really high!

Post Thanks / Like

If you look at the Trophy Taker Full Containment rest, it can actually overextend. There's a small washer that goes between the rest arm and the rest frame on the draw cord. If that washer is missing, and you pull the rest ALL the way back, it arcs over center, and drops back down just slightly at full draw. I have had this happen to me on my FC400. All it took was a little adjustment and some serving right above where the drawcord goes through my cable. Now it stops right at the high point of the arc, and not past that point.
    I took a closer look at my Apache rest, and noticed that it can't do this though. It stops well short of full vertical. However, if you have the rest set to not come completely up at full draw normally, it would be possible for a twist in the cord or the anchor point of the cord moving to cause the rest to come up higher than normal.
    Last edited by Ehunter; 09-12-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    2008 Moab 70# The deer killing bow
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous B
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RLW View Post
    At a 3D shoot, drew back at fox sitting in rocks at only 25-26yds and my arrow exploded on rock below.
    Doh!

Did you try and blame something else lol? Hmmm... rest must of stuck.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Is it possible that you left the draw string too long on the launcher arm, and that it somehow got bound up, causing the rest to raise more than it normally does? Been looking my Apache over, and that's the only thing I could figure out that might cause it. Also, I always put a little serving right above where the draw cord goes into my cables. Keeps the cord from slipping up, and causing low shots.
    I have a small knot above where I have it tied to keep it from moving. I think what happened is I bumped it down and it was either putting too much tension on the arm holding it up longer than it should have been. Didn't get a chance to shoot beyond 20 yet. Hopefully tomorrow.
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Doh!

Did you try and blame something else lol? Hmmm... rest must of stuck.....
    There was dead silence for a moment, then too much laughing at the dumbfounded look on my face for anyone to have heard any excuses I could have come up with.
    2009 Martin Bengal M2 Pro Cam w/factory STS & CCS.....66lbs, 29" DL, 422gr @ 272fps, Winners Choice string/cable, Trophy Taker drop-away Rest, Scott Release
    1996 Martin Firecat XRG Pro Series w/Ultra Sonic wheels.....69lbs, 29" DL, 465gr @ 245fps, w/fingers & Martin leather glove

Post Thanks / Like

Got it all worked out. Convinced it was the draw string out of whack either too far up or too far down causing there to be a problem. Good thing the Apache is super easy to set and had it fixed and shooting fine. Managed to get out to 30 this morning before work and no problems, so I am confident that was the issue.

While I was at it last night I made a target and flung a few arrows into just to see if it was going to work. Had this box from my son's bike sitting around in the garage and some scrap carpet from earlier this year. Figured, it would fit in there so I rolled it up and off I went. Stops the arrows perfectly, about 6-10 inch of penetration and super easy to pull out. Had a few of the shots at 20 make it to the other side of the box, but just barely so you can see a dimple. So I can shoot up one side and then turn it around. I need to wrap it and mark some spots yet.

Post Thanks / Like

If you cut up that carpet into 1"-2" strips and pack all that into the box it will last you untill the box falls apart.
    Then just shovel up the whole mess and pack it into a new box and yer good to go again...
    Back in '90-'94 I lived in a little cabin that was backed by about 125k acres of National Forest land. I took a whole pile of 'gunny' sacks that I got from
    a local produce stand - double bagged them and packed them full of carpet scraps I got for free from a local rug layer.
    Then I layed out a 3-d course on the hillside behind my house and hung 30 of these bags from tree limbs and such.
    I shot that course the 4 years that I lived there with basically zero maintenance needed.

Post Thanks / Like

This is probably a 16 foot section that is folded over I have no idea how many times. Would it make a difference if it were in strips vs the solid roll??