Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What type of broadhead do you use for whitetails?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What type of broadhead do you use for whitetails?

I am just throwing this out there because I wasn't totally impressed with the recent kill I got with rage 2 blad 2" 100 grain heads. I felt that the doe that I shot should have left more blood, and should have died sooner.... Some have already seen my post about the hunt, but long story short... the doe ran 200-250 yards throw crp, and didn't leave enough blood to track, until we got to the point where I knew she stopped and left a few puddles. If I didnt see where she went, I probably would have had a hard time tracking her. Her blood trail wasn't really any better than when I used my old pse 3 blade 125 grain broadheads. My dad opted for 3 blade rage heads, and wasn't impressed either, even though his shot placement wasn't the best. He felt that with his old pse heads, he would have recovered the buck, but he had damn near zero blood to track, and we waited til morning to track his buck. The problem there was that it had rained lightly that night, and then the little blood we did have was washed away. That's my story of why I don't feel like I will use rage heads, and am thinking that maybe I want to go a different route for next season. The only thing I do know for sure is that the rage do hit right where my field points do, which is a HUGE plus, and I liked that I didn't have to change a thing...
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

i am a big fan of muzzy mx3 and the standard muzzy 100 grn bh.i have seen some crazy good blood trails with them

Post Thanks / Like

the mx3 eh? I have heard alot of guys going that route... How do they hit compared to your field points? I think they look really well built, and the shape makes them look like they'd fly ooohhh so good... I may not change heads, just have one kill to go off of... what is your total arrow weight? Mine are 442 grains (28" carbon express mayhems, blazer vanes, nockturnal nocks, and 100 gran heads)
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

with the mx3 i had no adjustment..dead on and tares up them elk.but with the standard muzzy i had to do some slight adjustment.

Post Thanks / Like

oh ya and im at 390 for total arrow weight

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pizzadave View Post
    The only thing I do know for sure is that the rage do hit right where my field points do, which is a HUGE plus, and I liked that I didn't have to change a thing...
    That's the whole idea, easy. Did the head open fully? If it did then its shot placement or just the luck of it, it happens sometimes.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Slick Tricks all the way! they're always open. the season is too short to use Rage. gotta make every hit count.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

I'm going to be slingin' G5 T3 this fall. Have heard nothing but good things on them, pictures of entry/exits look devastating. I had been shooting a ... don't laugh ... Walmart/Off-name 3 blade expandable knock off of the NAP Scorpion XP - but made insane penetration when I was shooting them and before that my dad had pass-throughs on every shot with them. He since went with the 2 blade Rage and I sh*t you not, not 1 pass through since. Convinced him to look to a different head this fall just, thinking the T3 or Grim Reapers.

My choices before I settled on the G5 were the GR RazorTip / NAP Spitfire / old Trophy Ridge Steelheads
    2014 Lithium :: 2007 Cheetah :: Jaguar Take-down
    REAL AVID Field Staff / Bucks and Beards Scents Field Staff

Senior Member Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Carbon express F15's for me. They shoot like darts and I am happy with that. No mechanical for me failure rate to high.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Carbon express F15's for me. They shoot like darts and I am happy with that. No mechanical for me failure rate to high.

Hutch
    I forgot you're shooting those. REMEMBER! pics of entry/exit wounds from those heads. i gotta see the damage
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340