Thread: 30 year old Martin Cougar Magnum vs 2010 APA, Hoyt and New Martins

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default 30 year old Martin Cougar Magnum vs 2010 APA, Hoyt and New Martins

Background

You may want to sit and have a beer while reading this thread, it is a tad long and I have a lot to say.

Many may remember my idea of 3D shoots starting a Old School Division. Needless to say I brought it up to local clubs, with members who thought it was a good idea, but it went no where!

Some commented that the bow will grenade itself if I shoot it, cause it is sooo old, old technology wood and glass limbs and cast riser are so yesteryear, like buggy whips. Many said, just hang it on the wall and leave it there.

Summary

Today, I would like to inform everyone here at Martin Forum that I decided to see how my 1982 Martin Cougar Magnum, which I purchased new in 1982 at Laurentian Trading Post in Canada would fare against, Hoyts, APAs and yes even a Brand New Martin in today's 3D Tournament, held in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada.

Believe me, as a daily shooter, bowhunter, bowfishing and tournament shooter, my 30 year old Cougar Magnum has seen a lot of miles and has experienced the worst conditions, from swamps, bush and brambles, a more than a few drops and dings from tree stands, including arctic winters have been thrown at it. The bow looks good, and shoots like new.

Many a bowfishing derby, moose and deer hunt, camping with my bowhunting buddies in horrid conditions, campfires, great times, getting my first moose and numerous bucks, are memories I still hold dear when I see my Cougar Magnum in it's case. My cougar magnum is the tie that binds me to those memories 30 years ago and now today as hunting season is underway. My friends, some alive, some have passed on, I keep in touch with them and though it has been 5 years, some have moved away, as I make new friends.

Though I have not shot my Cougar Magnum more than a couple of times a year since 2007, I went and purchased a few new Hoyt ProElites since then, as I use them for FITA, 3D and hunting (when I can get away to the bush).

Yes, a terrible thing to say, but sometimes you do things for no rhyme or reason, as I have sponsors who need me to remain competitive, hence I need to shoot a faster arrow my Cougar Magnum could not deliver. What you should know, out of all the bows I currently own and will continue to own, my Cougar Magnum is heads and tails my favourite over any other bow!

My Bow

My 1982 Martin Cougar Martin is comes with metal cables,(no fast flite as it wasn't invented then) the bow is maxed out at 52 pounds, outfitted with Easton 2312 Aluminum Arrows, with Bohning 4" Inch Killer Vanes, Bohning Nocks, meeting Martin warranty specs at the time of 8 grains per pound. Finally my business end of my arrows are Martin 100 grain field points, delivered by my originally purchased 1982 Martin hair finger tab.

My original intent was also to use my original 1982 Martin Deerslayer sight, well this morning, just as I was leaving for the 3d shoot, Murphy's Law went and slammed my heavy duty metal bow case on the sights. I was hooped, with the only alternative is to go to 3D shoot and enter the compound bow/no sights/finger division.

Last night I chronographed my Cougar Magnum and found, it still meets original specs for an old girl as it fired out these arrows at a blazing smoking fast speed at 187 feet per second! Hey!! that was fast 30 years ago!

Conclusion

The attached photos will attest to the quality, durability and dependability Gail Martin and his sons put into my bow 30 years ago. I am pretty Martin's intent was never leave an old bow hanging on a wall unused to just look at.

In ending, it's time for those who own 20-30 year old Martin Bows, to peel off those granny panties, grab your Martin and kick some butt at the next 3D Tournament! How else are you going to show those "Nancy Boys" how we can still do Martin Old School and take their 3D Ribbons away!

I got a lot of stares today, and those old enough, remembered the Martin Cougar Magnum fondly, as they swapped hunting and tournament tales and great times when they owned one. Then someone came over and said, Man that’s an old bow, why don’t you buy a better bow, I told him, No Thanks “I have one”!

Thanks Martin!

Barry O'Regan- Bohning Pro Field Staff
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1982 Martin Cougar Magnum
    Bohning Archery Bohning Pro Field Staff. T.R.U. Ball Staff Shooter. Hamskea Archery Solutions Staff Shooter.

Post Thanks / Like

Default 60 yard shot lay down buck

This is a shot an a half, I did two rounds of 20 3D animals and hit the deer twice each time at 60 yards.
    Those with modern fast shooting bows, APAs, Hoyts, PSE etc (some with scopes and releases) failed to hit the deer at 60 yards.

Needless to say, my shooting buddy Karl Lackner (Bottom Photo Mustache) beat me by a few points to take first place, while I took 2nd Place.

Karl Lackner by the way has been the World Police and Fire Games Archery champion taking three gold medals every year since 2009, recently once again winning 3 gold medals in the 2011 World Police and Fire Games in New York City.

Oh yeah, Karl got his gold medal shooting his 1986 Martin Compound (3rd photo, Karl (Mustache) shown in the photo with his late 1980s Martin Compound Bow), No Sights, Finger Tab, showing Europeans and New Yorkers, Old School Rules!

So I guess I am with pretty great company.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barry O'Regan; 09-11-2011 at 08:11 PM.
    Bohning Archery Bohning Pro Field Staff. T.R.U. Ball Staff Shooter. Hamskea Archery Solutions Staff Shooter.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up Barry! I think I'll be sticking to my 'Nancy boy' gear though.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Destroyer, much appreciated.

But there is nothing stopping you from using both bows. It sort of challenges us.

Believe, it was a kick shooting it, and man, everyone commented on how whisper quiet that Cougar Magnum is.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Nice write up Barry! I think I'll be sticking to my 'Nancy boy' gear though.
    While wearing your granny panties?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Great story Barry and nice shooting.

SL
    2011 Firecat 400
    2013 PSE Drive
    2012 PSE Brute X

Post Thanks / Like

Great story, and even better shooting. Congratulations!
    2011 Martin Firecat 400/NAP Apache Dropaway/Truglo Xtreme Sight/Custom 8" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    2007 Martin Jaguar /Trophy Taker Dropaway/Extreme Sight/Custom 21" Stabilizer/Victory V6 Arrows
    Bow String Depot, Custom String Builders email us @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MLN1963 View Post
    While wearing your granny panties?
    Its a comfort thing....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the pics and great write-up.!
    I still love to take the 'vintage' stuff out and shoot it too.!