Thread: Hammerhead strings

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hammerhead strings

Has anyone else noticed that the new Hammerhead strings seem to "fuzz" quite a bit more than other strings? I thought that maybe it was all in my mind until yesterday. Waxed my strings 3 days ago, grabbed the bow to shoot last night, and saw the "fuzz" already coming back on the shooting string. Nothing really bad like strands breaking or anything, just a "peach fuzz". It also seems to show up the worst around my peep sight. It's happened with all the string waxes I've tried, and on all 3 bows that have the Hammerheads as well. My older bows with the Stone Mt. strings look just fine. I've used Bohnings Xcellerator, Slick T-T, and now Winners Choice Ultimate, and still am getting the fuzz. Thanks guys!
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#---2009-10-12? Warthog Frankenbow with Nitrous C
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

So far so good on my Alien Z, but then I have only waxed them about 4 times in 1 1/2 years.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ehunter View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the new Hammerhead strings seem to "fuzz" quite a bit more than other strings? I thought that maybe it was all in my mind until yesterday. Waxed my strings 3 days ago, grabbed the bow to shoot last night, and saw the "fuzz" already coming back on the shooting string. Nothing really bad like strands breaking or anything, just a "peach fuzz". It also seems to show up the worst around my peep sight. It's happened with all the string waxes I've tried, and on all 3 bows that have the Hammerheads as well. My older bows with the Stone Mt. strings look just fine. I've used Bohnings Xcellerator, Slick T-T, and now Winners Choice Ultimate, and still am getting the fuzz. Thanks guys!
    I have the exact same problem. I thought maybe it is the new "trophy" material? I asked Hutch if he was getting this with the strings he builds and he said no. So I have no clue?
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Question Curiousity is piqued...

Just what is the base string material that is used for Hammerhead Strings is it a BCY or Brownell? Which material do they actually use?

Smarten Up and Martin Up
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

They advertise BCY Trophy on the Martin website.

http://www.martinarchery.com/2011/features.php
    Firecat 400

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys, it could be the colors of the strings. I noticed flo green and flo orange and flo pink are different in texture and have less wax on them. The other colors aren't the same. I have been working with a lot of flo colors lately and they are dyed differently as far as I can see. Not exactly sure of what you guys are running into but I haven't run in to it yet. Post a pic and let me see it. May be I can talk to BCY and find out for you.
    One last thing the process of building a string makes a difference. Hammerhead might build differently then I.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting the same thing on my string, and they are not factory strings. I bought this X with a set of new cables and strings, the guy that built them isn't that good. Flo green and black, fuzzy wuzzy wuz a bear. I have flo green/yellow on my Bullet and no issues with fuzzzz. I bought those from Extreme strings, befor I found this forum. I think it was the 452X as well.

The new set: string stop hitting at very bottom of serving, and is loose. Cable servings are NOT even riding on the cable rollers, say what?? Junk.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    Hey Guys, it could be the colors of the strings. I noticed flo green and flo orange and flo pink are different in texture and have less wax on them. The other colors aren't the same. I have been working with a lot of flo colors lately and they are dyed differently as far as I can see. Not exactly sure of what you guys are running into but I haven't run in to it yet. Post a pic and let me see it. May be I can talk to BCY and find out for you.
    One last thing the process of building a string makes a difference. Hammerhead might build differently then I.

Hutch
    I am happy to report that my flo orange that you built has zero fuzz. Neither does the silver. And I have been shooting as often as possible.
    2012 Alien X