Thread: Limb bolts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Limb bolts

If you are shooting a bow maxed out on weight, do you leave the limb bolts turned down tight, or back them off just a hair? I have been told that you should always back the limb bolts off about 1/8th - 1/4 turn from full in. Also been told that they should be down fully. I noticed on one of my Onzas, that if I back the bolts off that 1/8th turn from full, my upper limb bolt seems to work it's way back out another 1/8th turn or so after a few dozen shots. Thought maybe it was due to vibration, but this is the smoothest shooting bow I have seen. No noise, no vibration, just smooth and quiet. Thanks for the input guys!
    2006 Rytera Bullet X 60#---2008 Moab 70#
    2008/12 Firecat 60#--- 2010 Warthog 70#
    2009 Warthog 70#
    2010 Strother SR-71 65# & 2012 Strother Rush 65#
    2012 Strother SX Rush 60# & 2011 Strother Infinity 70#
    BSD strings and cables

Yeah, I know I'm grumpy and opinionated.

Post Thanks / Like

If im going to shoot my bow at max draw weight limbs bolts are in as far as they can go.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot with the limb bolts snugged down.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, snug them down. If you have issues with limb bolts backing out then there is some vibration. There has to be. You think that string/cable assembly just stops with no vibration? You just aren't feeling it. Do a search and you'll find a thread about using lock-down set screws in the barrel nuts. There are pictures of them.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin/Rytera Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Thanks for the heads up....

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Yep, snugged down. Not tight! I just sort test for snuggness - back off, run back in real easy until I feel it stop. That tight thing bothers me. Tight for one person is really puttin' the wrench to it for another person. I hate to have someone crush a limb with all the limb problems that exist.
    Just realized we have reached the day of using a torque wrench and foot pound specs for compound bows. I could see that torque effecting limb problems. Thanks Sonny for pointing that out.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Just nipped up, use one finger on the end of the wrench and pull for increased sensitivity. By using a single finger it stops you from putting too much pressure on the tool.

Some bows are harder to tell, my mach x is terrible with no easily defined stop and four limb bolts so you can easily over tighten them.