Thread: arrow/ broadhead selection

Post Thanks / Like

Default arrow/ broadhead selection

Hey guys, I'm shooting a martin saber, 62# 29.5" draw beman ics hunter 400 spine @ 28.5" shaft. I shoot muzzy 3 blade 75 grain bh. My questions are, is that the correct shaft? At 75 grain is this to lite of an bh. I was told my arrows may be a little on the light side, that i might want to go with a heavier arrow or a heavier bh. I was also recommended to go with a four blade vs the 3 blade i have always used. I have seen you guys run numbers on here before. I would love to know the equation you use for this. Thanks guys any help would be greatly appreciated!

jason

Post Thanks / Like

Is your Saber maxed out, or do you have it turned down a little. I looked on the Beman website where they have a shaft selector; http://www.beman.com/products/shaft-selector It askes for cam type, draw weight and arrow length. The draw weight runs from 57-61 and from 62-66, since you stated 62, I used 62-66. For shaft length, they use whole inches plus or minus a half inch. Using the 28 inch length, you should be using the 400, but if you go with 29 inches, you should move to the 340 which is a stiffer arrow. Every response I have seen when someone is on the cut off from one spine to another, is to go with the stiffer arrow. But the real question is, how are your arrows shooting for you now? If you have plans to increase draw weight down the road, you may want to switch to the 340's. Each manufacturer has some kind of chart to find out which arrow is right for you. If you can't find a particular manufacturer, I use www.archeryreport.com they have a tab for manufacturers, and most of them have a link to the website of each manufacturer. They are missing a few, but not many.
    2012 Alien X

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowhunter2783 View Post
    Hey guys, I'm shooting a martin saber, 62# 29.5" draw beman ics hunter 400 spine @ 28.5" shaft. I shoot muzzy 3 blade 75 grain bh. My questions are, is that the correct shaft?
    Not far off at those specs and not too light either at 8.4 grains per inch. A 340 will be slightly heavier at 9.3 gr/inch but will allow for a heavier and wider cutting head, might spine better too. I would try a 100 grain head on your 400's and see how it tunes.

I was also recommended to go with a four blade vs the 3 blade i have always used.
    What 4 blade heads? Sounds like BS to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

i do have some 100 gr bh i'm gonna try. I was having problems tuning, but think i got it slinging darts finally. Just thought I would get some opinions. I had checked all the shaft selection charts and noticed I was right on the edge between the 400 and 340. It seems to do ok with the 400, just wondered what advantages i would get from the 340's.
    Thanks again,

Jason

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SonnyThomas View Post
    Arrow charts are pretty darn good, but you have to remember liability issues.
    Biggest problem is putting single cams in with hard cams, some single cams aren't very 'hard' at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Default thanks

Thanks for the imput guys! I am sticking with the 400's and 75 grain, 3 blades. Its what I am comfortable with and what I've shot for years and they are flying pretty darn good. Thanks again, Now anyone got any pointers on getting that big guy in range, lol.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Now anyone got any pointers on getting that big guy in range, lol.
    lots of scouting,lots of hard work,lots of time spent in the stand,lots of patience. and even at that its all gamble. good luck
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Destroyer; 10-01-2011 at 10:26 PM.