Thread: Is it normal practice to use face camo while bowhunting deer from the ground ?

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it normal practice to use face camo while bowhunting deer from the ground ?

I just started bow hunting Whitetail deer last year and was told I should use a camo mask or paint my face.
    Anyone have an opinion on this?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

jafa, welcome to the forum. hunting is a funny sport because there are a lot of things you can do and your buddy may not agree with any of them. I feel that you need to do what makes you feel confident. I don't use face paint or masks, but I can make a good argument for doing so. Ideally you want to break up your outline as much as possible, and face paint and masks can hide some of the natural glare from your skin. If you want to see what a difference it can make, have a friend go out in to the woods with you and take a picture of you in your stand and see if you like what you see (or don't see). Good luck
    2012 Alien X

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Money Man View Post
    face paint and masks can hide some of the natural glare from your skin.
    Exactly right, and it makes any movement more obvious too. I think its more important for stalking since you are moving around a lot more but I'm not so sure about hunting in a tree stand. The problem is we cant hit the 'rewind button' and see if it really made a difference or not.

Face paint is more comfortable but a mask is so much easier.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont use either for the purpose of camo. i'll wear a head covering on the cool morning to keep my ears warm. otherwise its just a hat. if im stalking a deer,i stay low to the ground close to trees,brush,etc. and keep my bow in front of my face as much as possible. ive taken many deer doing it this way. move slow when the deer arent looking at you.
    Last edited by HawgEnvy; 09-14-2011 at 04:13 PM.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

I used cloth face masks for years but got tired of having that can't breath feeling with my nose squashed and ears bent in from tight face masks. So I bought that Carbo face paint this season. On the second day of my Muley hunt I didn't have time to put it on as a Buck happened to cross my path. I killed him that day without any mask on. I paid attention to the wind, tried to make the less possible noise, I only moved when the wind moved the surrounding brush and grass and I ended up killing my Buck at 20 yards. I made sure that I had objects blocking the deers view of me making the stalk in toward him. If I can't see him, He can't see me. I wasn't prepared for him to be there at that time and location in the 85 degree weather, I had my gear in another location waiting for a ambush later on in the late afternoon.

Post Thanks / Like

SonnyThomas and Destroyer, you make good points; it depends on the hunter(fail or succeed it depends on my decisions)
    BUT "You can't press the rewind button"
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to share, I'm going to check into that camo face mask too.