Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: no more fletching needed

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Cheers GD!

My biggest problem with FOC is how its tested. I can't figure out a way to test only foc and eliminate the other variables that changing foc causes. For example if I increase the point weight like some do to change foc, I'm changing not only the overall weight but the spine and in some cases the length of the arrow which changes the flight. How do you add weight to the point and retain the same spine, there aren't 50 different spines to choose from so the only way it to shorten or lengthen the shaft which changes the weight and therefore the flight anyway.

So how do you isolate the foc to see any difference or is foc just a grouping of different variables under one name?

Post Thanks / Like

I have always had an issue with how it's figured, too. Easton says to measure the length of the shaft and then calculate. They don't measure the whole arrow. Point (broadhead) length and nock are part of the arrow and you're trying to find the FOC of the whole arrow, not just the shaft. In reality if the point, nock, insert, fletching, etc. aren't part of the equation the shaft will have an FOC of zero unless you're messing with some stupid weight forward technology. I say measure from end to end of the completed arrow.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I have a little gizmo called..Arrow Check... You can spin your shafts on it to get an idea how true they will spin and t comes with an FOC graph.
    On my arrows I measure the total lenght and put a center line mark on the shaft, then I balance the shaft in a groove in the arrow check and put another mark on the balance point. Then I lay the shaft on the graph I have for the lenght of the shaft, line up the center line, there is another set of lines that will intercect(sp) the balance line telling you the FOC. It seems to look right to me...hee hee.
    Don.
    Picture 689.jpgPicture 690.jpgPicture 691.jpgPicture 692.jpgPicture 694.jpg
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

One more pic.
    Don.
    Picture 693.jpg
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen a YouTube video about a special metal frame to put on your bed to hold a shotgun. The price was over 100$. After this no new product can surprise me.
    By the way i completely ignore the FOC - when i see mathematics i stay away from it. Twelve years of torture at school are enough for a lifetime.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by alex View Post
    By the way i completely ignore the FOC - when i see mathematics i stay away from it. Twelve years of torture at school are enough for a lifetime.
    Lol! A good reason mate, apart from the reason its just blah, blah, blah.

Post Thanks / Like

We've never studied maths in such a practical way, Sonny. Here it is absolutely useless unless you'll continue in a tech university. And is much more difficult - the examples you've given are studied by the children at the age of 10-12. I can't even say what it was at highschool - i've erased all the useless information from my brain.
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows

Post Thanks / Like

I just did NAP Quick Fletch for my kid. Simple, boil water, dunk for 10 seconds and you are done.
    Firecat 400

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Any issue with vane alignment?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't think so. They look about right to me. No jig to put them into to compare.
    Firecat 400