Thread: Large vs Small dia. shafts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Large vs Small dia. shafts

Does a larger dia. shaft require a lower nockset than a smaller dia. shaft?
    When shooting fingers.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

No, normally it would require a higher nocking point. About the difference in the diameters. Just how much larger of a shaft are we talking about?

Had to edit this. When I say higher I'm talking about to the top of the nock. It also depends a little, very little, on the shape and size of the nock. You still want to set the arrow on the string so it is perpendicular and then tune from there. As a general rule you should end up just slightly above perpendicular to give the back end of the arrow just a touch of lift to help the fletching clear the rest. If paper tuning you're looking for a high-left tear of 1/2" or so.
    Last edited by bfisher; 09-17-2011 at 11:19 AM.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I have been shooting the Harvest Time HT-3, 400 spine with an .354" OD and switched over to the HT-4, 400 spine wth an .419" OD.
    I was just wondering because I am getting a bit of up and down nock end flight with the HT-4's and the HT-3's fly like darts. I did readjust my rest so that the plunger is centered on the shaft, just wondering if I needed to move my nock point or not.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sonny.
    Most times I just set my nockpiont at 3/8" above center. Just didn't know if I need to reset it.
    Don.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, needs to go up unless you can move the rest down. Shooting with fingers I usually ended up being about 3/8" above square but bare shaft or paper tuning will tell you.