Thread: Nock Failure

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nock Failure

Shooting last night I experienced a loud BLANGGGG! after one of my shots and the arrrow landed in the dirt below my block. After exeriencing imediate shock because I just received my new limbs just over a week ago I immediatly started inspecting everything. couldn't find anything obviously wrong with the bow so I went to examine the arrow planted in the dirt and wouldn't you know it the nock was split in half. Carbon Express Terminators. Has any one else had any issues with these? Does anyone know if this can damage my bow, it sounded awful. The nocks are very tight right from the start but then loosen up after you shoot them for a while. I've been shooting all day today and the bow seems fine but am not very confident in the carbon express nocks.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

really ,just got my bow back from Martin, they just put new limbs on , only been a week and same thing happened to me , i was worried also, from what i have been informed, its not a true dry fire, its been over a year now , and knock on wood bows been fine , give it a good once over ,the next few outings , but i think yer good to go good luc!

Post Thanks / Like

If you can'r find anything wrong with the bow and it still shoots fine then that's good. Now the issue of the nocks themselves. It could be that that nock was damaged. It could also mean that if they are too tight on the serving you are forcing it on the string. This spreads the ears and could weaken them. Maybe CE had a bad batch, which can happen from time to time. For the money I wouldn't push it and replace all the nocks just as a precaution, which isn't a bad idea to do periodically anyway. Maybe once a year.

Another thing I would do is have the string reserved with slightly smaller diameter serving so that the nocks aren't so tight in the first place. Serving comes in different sizes, the most common for cneter serving being .018", .021", .025", etc. Believe it or not a couple thousandths can make a huge difference, not only in the fit but in accuracy also.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

I will definitely be replacing these nocks. does anyone have any suggestions on which ones fit the Hammerhead strings the best?
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wick View Post
    I will definitely be replacing these nocks. does anyone have any suggestions on which ones fit the Hammerhead strings the best?
    I am using carbon express terminator hunters as well and the nocks have been fine. I think it is you serving. I bet it is not the right diameter or the most common thing is not tight enough. It should be .021".

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If you were to go with another nock easton supernock. I would refer you to gt's but they had a recall for the same problem.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch~n~Son Archery View Post
    If you were to go with another nock easton supernock. I would refer you to gt's but they had a recall for the same problem.

Hutch
    Thanks I'll look into the eastons. Funny that this just happened to me because just last week I was just having a conversation at the shop about a guy that ruined the limbs on his alien X via nock failure while shooting GT expeditions.
    2011 Exile/01 Panther
    Rage/Muzzy
    TruGlo
    Easton Arrows
    Blazer Vanes

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little averse to change and have for years been using Easton CB bushings and G-nocks. I've found them to be reliable as to quality from batch to batch and color to color. The added advantage is that the CB bushing helps protect the arrow from splitting if you tend to be a nock buster.

If you have the means then measure the diameter of the string where the arrow nocks (center serving). Large throat G-nocks are supoosed to be .098". I serve my string with serving that will result in a nocking point approx. .110". This gives a snug fit that eventually wears down to a real nice nock fit.

If you don't want to go this route then Bohning Signature nocks is a good one.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver