Thread: Martin Cougar II Archery Wheels (Aluminium , LARGE)allow shooting without cable guard

Post Thanks / Like

Default Martin Cougar II Archery Wheels (Aluminium , LARGE)allow shooting without cable guard

Martin Aluminium Wheels.JPG

Hi Everyones

I write to you (Martin Technician and Archery Cognoscenti People) because I REALLY need help

I want to rebuilt the old Martin Cougar II MT-6 Bow that my father had when I was young

He Truly liked this model and was one of his prefered bow

My father Died last year and I want to rebuilt this very old bow

I have found all the parts I need from several archery shop around the United States

the part that I have searched a LOTS in order to found them is the wheels !!!

I remember that my father prefered to shoot WITHOUT using a cables Guard

I have made a LOTS of research in order to found that ONLY a SPECIFIC type of Martin Wheels
    can allow this!

I have FINALLY found a set of theses Aluminium Wheels

but now , the complex part :

theses wheels have TWO type of holes (too attach them on the wood limbs with steel rod\steel circlip)

ONE LONGUER
    ONE SHORTER

**Please Refer to the Digital Photo included in this Thread**

The Longuer difference is extremely slight , But I presume it affect something on the cables setting\Draw Lenght\Weight

Im a 6'3" guy with very long arms

Please , could someone can explain to me the difference (in use) between the two holes (long & short)
    and what will be the BEST SUITED Hole to choose for me

I hope that someone will be able to answer me on this question

You can reply here or directly via PM

Waiting for your Help Guys!!

Thanks

DanMartin Aluminium Wheels.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

To make things easy I'll just refer to the colors you have on them. The axle holes are two different distances from the outside edge. This is for two different letoffs. The closer the hole is to the outside edge the higher the letoff will be. For instance, the hole on the blue side might be 50% letoff whereas the green will be 65%.

The percentages I'm using might not be the actual settings, but should give you an idea of which you might want to use.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    To make things easy I'll just refer to the colors you have on them. The axle holes are two different distances from the outside edge. This is for two different letoffs. The closer the hole is to the outside edge the higher the letoff will be. For instance, the hole on the blue side might be 50% letoff whereas the green will be 65%.

The percentages I'm using might not be the actual settings, but should give you an idea of which you might want to use.
    Many thanks for your answer Sir! Really appreciated

but I ask to myself , since I want to shoot with fingers (no mechanical release) what option will be BETTER
    for the Accuracy ?

Did its better to have 50% letoff or 65% (approx numbers , yes I understand) in order to have a Martin
    Cougar II Mt-6 Old bow shoot straight , smooth & accurate

I know many other things come together in order to reach this "perfect setting"

but if I have to choose , depending of all your years of experience , what will you suggest me ?

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer 65% let off.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSnake View Post
    Many thanks for your answer Sir! Really appreciated

but I ask to myself , since I want to shoot with fingers (no mechanical release) what option will be BETTER
    for the Accuracy ?

Did its better to have 50% letoff or 65% (approx numbers , yes I understand) in order to have a Martin
    Cougar II Mt-6 Old bow shoot straight , smooth & accurate

I know many other things come together in order to reach this "perfect setting"

but if I have to choose , depending of all your years of experience , what will you suggest me ?
    Personally I would choose the 65% setting depending on how much peak weight the bow is set for. If it's only 50 to 55# then I would choose the 50% setting. It's just easier to get a clean release with fingers if you maintain a higher holding weight.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Last edited by Destroyer; 10-01-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Same here.

That is the way I use to think too but if the peak draw weight is high (70#) it can be a real struggle. In the old days I prefered 30 - 50 % finger release but after trying 65% on my early 90's hoyt's I wouldn't go back. It was all about the actual holding weight not percentage.

Imo its more about string angle than holding weight anyway.
    Especially with fingers!
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bonjour SolidSnake

Les Roues ont-elles des cannelures usinées pour placer vos câbles dans ?

Regardez s'il vous plaît les photographies, en incluant mon Magnum de Martin Cougar, faites n'importe lequel d'entre ceux-ci Martin Cougars ressemble à vôtre ? Votre Martin a-t-il un joug?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Barry O'Regan; 10-21-2011 at 09:11 PM.
    1982 Martin Cougar Magnum
    Bohning Archery Bohning Pro Field Staff. T.R.U. Ball Staff Shooter. Hamskea Archery Solutions Staff Shooter.