Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck Blue threadlocked mod screws

Post Thanks / Like

Default Stuck Blue threadlocked mod screws

When I first got my Silencer the mod screws kept coming lose. So I put some blue loctite on them. Now they won't come out. I'm Heating them with a soldering iron nut the whole cam gets hot and I don't want to ruin anything else. I'm Twisting allen wrenches like pretzels. Any Suggestions.
    2011 Martin Silencer, Apex Bone Collector sight, Apex Quiver, NAP Drop Away Rest, Micro Diameter Carbon arrows.

Post Thanks / Like

r ur mods plastic or metal? if there plastic u might have to drill, if metal try letting soak fer a day with some pb blaster , be careful on the plastic stuff , last advise, call Martin good luc

Post Thanks / Like

The blue loc-tite usually responds to heat/cold cycles and a seize free agent like PB Blaster as mentioned. Try to incorporate cold into your loosening attempts (ice cube). Also the blue will respond to a light rap with a hammer or punch. I know this is tricky on a bow but if you set it up w/ support you may be able to try a little tap after you apply heat. I would also make sure your allen wrench is a quality grade so it doesn't bend too easily due to being the weak link.
    Chasman, 2010 Martin Bengal 60#,Parker Phoenix 60#, Parker Hornet 70#. Hutch-n-Son strings.'Makes a lot of sense if you don't think about it!

Post Thanks / Like

I had the screw heads strip out on my Shadowcat. I pulled the cam off and drilled the heads out just enough to get the mod off, then I grabed the rest of the thread that was left with a pair of needle nose and that was it. I replaced all the mod screws with stainless and never looked back.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.
    Enter-ZESTY at checkout at Deer Crossing Archery- http://deercrossingarchery.com/
    For a 10% discount on all products, other than ECO Hunter shafts.

Post Thanks / Like

If i change my mods again drilling will be the answer. Ive got one that snaps hi grade allen bits like nothing. My threads arnt whats tight, its the taper of the screw on the mod making it stick.
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

My guess is that it is not the LocTite at all. The steel head of the screw galled against the steel screw. Try this. Remove strings and cables. Heat up an old socket that will fit over the screw head. Get that sucker as hot as you can get it and place it on the cam around the screw and then heat the socket while it is on the cam. The aluminum cam will absorb a lot of heat, way more than you think. Aluminum is a great heat sink. The Aluminum will expand more than the steel screw and you should be able to get the screw out.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 09-23-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: spelling
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

That would work, but i dont want to heat up my cam. Also, i dont forsee the need to mess with my mods im the near future
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike_o View Post
    When I first got my Silencer the mod screws kept coming lose. So I put some blue loctite on them. Now they won't come out. I'm Heating them with a soldering iron nut the whole cam gets hot and I don't want to ruin anything else. I'm Twisting allen wrenches like pretzels. Any Suggestions.
    turn your limb bolts out even turns til you can see the end of the bolt through the barrel nut.at that point you can remove strings and cables. if your not sure how to put them back on,take pics of the routing before taking them off. once string set is off,they might be able to be loosened up because of no tension on the mod. if not,heat thoroughly with a torch,being careful to avoid the limbs with the flame. slow,patient persistance will get them off. it will take more than a propane torch to warp your cams. but REMOVE STRINGS FIRST AND AVOID BURNING THE LIMB TIPS
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

The cams getting hot won't hurt a thing. If you don't do that you will end up stripping out the screw head and have to drill it out. That has a whole lot more potential for damaging the cam.
    Last edited by MLN1963; 09-23-2011 at 01:35 PM.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

That's why i use only chewing gum on such things
    2008 Martin MOAB - 45-60#, set at about 51-53# / 55#" Perfect Line" compound/ 55# Mongol horsebow/ 45# "Perfect Line" takedown recurve/ 45# Bearpaw Grizzly hunter recurve/ 55# Samick Longbow Cheetah ... and several homemade bows