Thread: TRG/SOS; I finally give

Post Thanks / Like

Default TRG/SOS; I finally give

I've tried my hardest to be an advocate for the new system, as I hadn't had any of the problems many of you have. But this last week at deer camp, I shot at my target for practice and to let off some steam... I MISSED at 40 yds. If I had shot at a deer, I would have missed or had avery bad gut shot depending on which direction it would have been facing! I looked over my bow to see if anything was loose or had moved, and couldn't find anything wrong at first glance. So i shot again to be sure it hadn't been me, and barely hit the target.

Upon inspection (again) I found that the SOS had slipped in the yoke, and moved forward on one side. I put it back into position, fired and was dead on. Fired again, and it was left, barely hitting the target; the SOS had moved again after the first shot.

Then, of course, my confidence was shaken and continually checked my SOS everytime I took my bow in hand. To say the least, I was frusterated. I did get a shot a deer this season, and misjudged the distance, going right over her back. But I gotta say, I was hesitant to even take the shot because I wasn't sure I could trust the SOS.

Needless to say, I have contacted CS and a rod/slide/sts is on its way... Even if I had just replaced the SOS because it was loose, I would second guess it, and continually worry.
    In God and guns we trust;
    • One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

2011 Onza 3: 70#, 28.25 draw (AMO), 384 gr arrow, 288 fps
    2005 Saber: 70#, same arrow, 250 fps

Post Thanks / Like

Default Confidence

Conifdence is key. I'd be constantly be 2nd quessing the SOS , you're right, it's time to go back to tried and true. Kinda the way I feel about my bows.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 09-27-2011 at 05:57 PM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

String builder/ Super Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Cable guard and glide still work.

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

I know that the rod/slide will work. Like elkslayer said, its tried and true .

I also hope that Martin is able to take what they've learned from the TRG/SOS setup and apply it to the next generation of guides. I do believe that the "torque reducing" type of guide setup will be important in the future of compound bows as we move forward; not only for accuracy's sake but for safety's sake as these bows continue to push the envelopes of speed and power.
    • A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wscywabbit View Post
    I know that the rod/slide will work. Like elkslayer said, its tried and true .

I also hope that Martin is able to take what they've learned from the TRG/SOS setup and apply it to the next generation of guides. I do believe that the "torque reducing" type of guide setup will be important in the future of compound bows as we move forward; not only for accuracy's sake but for safety's sake as these bows continue to push the envelopes of speed and power.
    With ya 100% on that.!

Post Thanks / Like

do they offer a longer cable rod than the one in the martin store ? i decided to change my onza over to the cable slide on my own the rod that they sent me was 7" and it is almost to short ,no room to spare at the end.
    curtis

2010 nemesis camo, 2011 nemesis carbon fiber,
    2010 onza 3 camo,

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if they do or not, I just called CS, told Brandon what I wanted and they sent it out. I haven't even had a chance to do the conversion yet; my weekend was too busy and now I'm back at work... was pleased to see that it only took a few days to recieve the parts though!

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, so I finally changed the TRG/SOS out today. As previously stated, the specs didn't change much at all, and just had to add a twist to the bottom limb's cable to put back in sync. The draw is smooth, and impact was left. I had originally put string leeches in my cables to try and kill the vibe and noise of them slapping back into the bottom of the TRG, and I removed them as well. In the end I jumped up to 276 fps, probably more due to the leeches than the rod/slide combo. It also seems to be quieter, and I have no silencers on the strings at all!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bowgramp59 View Post
    do they offer a longer cable rod than the one in the martin store ? i decided to change my onza over to the cable slide on my own the rod that they sent me was 7" and it is almost to short ,no room to spare at the end.
    Call Joel and ask. I believe they make the rods in several lengths. Afterall, it's just cut from a long 3/8" carbon rod. They could probably cut you a piece 12" if that's what you ask for.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver