Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Cougar - is it time to put her down? Please say it isn't so!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Old Cougar - is it time to put her down? Please say it isn't so!

Hello. I have and old M-41 Cougar Speed-Flite that I just dearly love. I had a pro-shop special order it back in 1993, with the wooden recurve limbs, and Speed-Flight wheels specifically to shoot with fingers. I have never cast an arrow from a compound bow that was better looking, more silky-smooth to draw, with absolutely zero shock after release...and just an all around pleasure to shoot! Suffice to say, I am very fond of it, even though she's a hefty beast by today's standards, and I see little reason to replace it. However, there is a problem...over the years I've been quite lax about turning down the poundage in the off season, and as a result those wonderful wood limbs have steadily lost poundage. I ordered it with a 65-80lb. draw weight; now, nearly 20 years later, the peak, measured draw weight is 59lbs.
    I know it's a long shot, but might their possibly be some NOS limbs for this bow gathering dust in a dark corner somewhere? I posed this question to Martin, but while I'm waiting on a reply I thought I would ask around in the Tech Forum. Of course I would love to have a duplicate set like the ones that came on it, but to keep from having to retire it I would go for fiberglass, in whatever color is out there. As I understand it from reading the forums, limbs from some other models may indeed fit on my riser, and I would be open to this, also. Is there perhaps a company, or enterprising individual out there making custom, one-off limb sets? Or do I just have to accept the fact that the old girl has reached the end of her life? Please say it isn't so!
    As an aside, is it safe to shoot with the original limbs, seeing as how they are more than 5lbs. under spec? Thanks in advance for your consideration. Any suggestions will be gladly accepted.

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Old Friendships are Gold....stay Gold Pony Boy, stay Gold...

I don't know how old you are but during this winter I will turn 59 and I prefer to draw less weight now these days. I think the bow is just gracefully
    accommodating you.

M4L v1_tn.jpg

Smarten Up and Martin Up
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

How long ago the the old girl get her last set of strings? I'd ask about the cables, but they're steel are'nt they? There was a similar post a while back, and in it someone ( Barry? ) said that limbs don't usually loose their power, or that much power. Check your specs, my thought is that there has been some streching and that the bow is out of spec, and the limbs need more pre-load.
    Welcome to the forum, and since you've told us what a beauty she is, how about posting a few pics? We love seeing old bows. :)
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 10-01-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you have a real love affair with that baby. Maybe rightfully so. This was back when bows ween't so darn technical as they are today. From my experience I think it's pretty amazing that those limbs have only lost about 5# over an 18 year period. Maybe I'm misinterpretting something, but if they are rated 65-80 just what is the problem?

You mention they are drawing 59#. I would assume that is with the limbs backed out to what used to be 65#. Just at what draw weight do you want to shoot the bow? If 75# or less it would just be a matter of adjusting the limb bolts to your desired draw weight. If you think you have to have that 80# back then I would make a couple of suggestions. Peace suggested less poundage as he got older. You might do the same.

The other is to contact Dave Barnesdale to see if he has or can make you a set of custom limbs. With today's technology they would most likely be laminated glass composites. I couldn't do more than guess at the cost, but around $200 would seem about right. He could give you more details and is a right nice guy to talk to. And make no mistake. He makes the best limbs money can buy.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

Welcome to the forums, fellow Martin owner.

Barry
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Default Omfg!

First of all, thanks to all for your timely, and courteous replies.

My apologies, I just spent half an hour typing out a thoughtful response to each of you. Then, after happily submitting my reply, I came back to find the forum had signed me out. After signing back in, my entire respone was deleted...erased...wiped out! And I just don't have the heart to do it all over again, so not to seem rude, but I will be brief.

I'm 40 this year...felt 60+ for the last decade. My poundage setting when this bow was new was 72#, and as a young, strapping Marine, that seemed just right. Now, not so much.

Yes, I do love my old bow. Want to keep it.

New string last year. Re-measured this year. Yes, steel cables.

To be clear, I have wood composite limbs. If the limb bolts are not cranked out, and the poundage reduced in the off season, the wood fibers "crush" over time, and the limbs weaken. Loses about 1lb. a year...and unlike glass limbs, which are "set, and forget"...and because I'm a knucklehead, I let it happen to my Cougar.

My max poundage setting when new was 80#'s. That was nearly 20 years ago. My max poundage today, where I have it set at currently, with the limb bolts cranked all the way in, then backed off 1/4 turn, is 59#'s. I don't mind shooting at this poundage, I'm just afraid I will draw back one time to many, and grenade one of the weakened limbs. Ouch!

I have looked at Barnsdale's; beautiful, quality work! Even at the price he charges, I could repair my bow for half what a new bow costs. On the one hand, that's HALF what a NEW bow costs! On the other hand...that's three hands, so far....I could give my old girl new life, and she would be unique, custom, and equiped with the best limbs on the market.

or...

I could buy a bow off theBay, and canabalize the glass limbs...but I don't have the heart to do that to another, old Martin.

or...

I could do away with the cables and pullies, and make a takedown recurve out of it. Maybe.

Other opinions? Ideas? Suggestions? Anybody built a Frankenbow before, from odds and ends?

Thanks,

Sledge
    Last edited by Magnus777; 10-03-2011 at 06:43 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

From the sounds of it, you are definitely in the market for a new bow. I would go out and shoot just about everything I could get my hands on. Me, I am partial to Martins and Rytera's. It has a lot to do with the grip. I don't like Glocks either because of the grip. Just me. Also Martin's overall archery business philosophy and commitment to the industry's well being as well as coupled with their excellent customer service has made a loyal customer out of me.

I believe that when you buy something like a bow you are buying into that companies system also, so I look at more than the bow. I feel the same about computers, cameras and even cars.

I would keep the old one around but I really believe there is a bow out there with your name on it. I'm just saying.

Smarten Up and Martin Up
    Last edited by peace; 10-03-2011 at 06:51 AM.

I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

i'd go shoot a few,then maybe look for a good price on one on AT classifieds. gracefully retire your best girl to the wall.let her live an easy life reminding you of all the memories you've shared. you could look for a Cougar 3 mag with the Fuzion cam. longer AtA than the newer Martins and it has a pretty smooth draw w 315-320 ibo
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HawgEnvy View Post
    i'd go shoot a few,then maybe look for a good price on one on AT classifieds. gracefully retire your best girl to the wall.let her live an easy life reminding you of all the memories you've shared. you could look for a Cougar 3 mag with the Fuzion cam. longer AtA than the newer Martins and it has a pretty smooth draw w 315-320 ibo

I don't think he'll find a Cougar 3 Mag because it is one heaven of a bow, it delivers. As bows go it is about perfect. In camo I'll admit its ugly but beauty is only skin deep, LOL!

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

there was one on CL. Matter of fact,the guy offer it to me in addition to cash for the Pearson I had for sale. What about the Phantom 3 w fuzion? My pro shop has one for cheap?
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus777 View Post
    First of all, thanks to all for your timely, and courteous replies.

My apologies, I just spent half an hour typing out a thoughtful response to each of you. Then, after happily submitting my reply, I came back to find the forum had signed me out. After signing back in, my entire respone was deleted...erased...wiped out! And I just don't have the heart to do it all over again, so not to seem rude, but I will be brief.

I'm 40 this year...felt 60+ for the last decade. My poundage setting when this bow was new was 72#, and as a young, strapping Marine, that seemed just right. Now, not so much.

Yes, I do love my old bow. Want to keep it.

New string last year. Re-measured this year. Yes, steel cables.

To be clear, I have wood composite limbs. If the limb bolts are not cranked out, and the poundage reduced in the off season, the wood fibers "crush" over time, and the limbs weaken. Loses about 1lb. a year...and unlike glass limbs, which are "set, and forget"...and because I'm a knucklehead, I let it happen to my Cougar.

My max poundage setting when new was 80#'s. That was nearly 20 years ago. My max poundage today, where I have it set at currently, with the limb bolts cranked all the way in, then backed off 1/4 turn, is 59#'s. I don't mind shooting at this poundage, I'm just afraid I will draw back one time to many, and grenade one of the weakened limbs. Ouch!

I have looked at Barnsdale's; beautiful, quality work! Even at the price he charges, I could repair my bow for half what a new bow costs. On the one hand, that's HALF what a NEW bow costs! On the other hand...that's three hands, so far....I could give my old girl new life, and she would be unique, custom, and equiped with the best limbs on the market.

or...

I could buy a bow off theBay, and canabalize the glass limbs...but I don't have the heart to do that to another, old Martin.

or...

I could do away with the cables and pullies, and make a takedown recurve out of it. Maybe.Other opinions? Ideas? Suggestions? Anybody built a Frankenbow before, from odds and ends?

Thanks,

Sledge
    Could Dave Barnsdale match the looks of you old Cougar limbs? Rather like the idea of building a Frankencurve. And I'm sure Dave could make the limbs to do so. I've seen lots of other Frankenbows, but most where cam changes, not compuund to recurve. But then, for half the dough for a new bow, the old girl would be sportin new limbs and shooting harder than ever, probablly with less poundage, which even an aging jarhead's shoulder would apprecite. I know I wish that I'd taken better care of my shoulder when I was 40!
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 10-03-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://cascadianbowmen.com/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade