Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Old Cougar - is it time to put her down? Please say it isn't so!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've been in contact with Marin Customer Service. Of course there are no replacement limbs available, which is understandable after this long. I inquired about the specifics of the "Lifetime Warranty", since I do in fact still have the sales receipt, asking if the 50% prorated repair/replace would entitle me to a new bow at half price. Paraphrasing, I was informed the warranty was not for MY lifetime, but the product lifetime, which means until they stop making that model, and all the parts run out. These days, since they update models about every other season at least, and I'm certain they don't do a huge run to stockpile parts, that means the "lifetime warranty"....in my mind, one of the top selling points of their product....is only good for maybe 4-5 years. I'm not too awfully upset....I'm the one that didn't lower the poundage every year to give the limbs a rest, and they're just past their usefulness. I wouldn't call up Weatherby after 20 years and ask them to replace the shot out barrel on my hunting rifle, and I can't expect Martin to keep an indefinite supply of parts sockpiled to fix old bows....even though the copy of the warranty I got when I bought my bow doesn't include the fine print that let's me know their "lifetime warranty" is really just an inside joke.

Been keeping an eye open for a replacement. Don't care much at all for the new bows...those built within the last 5 years or so. Not that they don't perform....but because they all look the same.
    I'm not sure which company it was that came out with the paralel limbs first, but after that there hasn't really been any individuality, or personality in the industry...it's been all about the technology, and keeping up with the competition. And that's all well and good; there will always be lots of people out there who are on the hunt for the latest and greatest. That's what keeps Martin and all the other manufacturers in buisness, and why they sell a ton of bows.
    Of course, I always thought of Martin as more than just a manufacturer, more than just a company that makes and sells archery equipment. When I think of Martin, I think of a company that creates highly crafted and aesthetically attractive tools for archers, and as peace's post touched on, a company that creates a bond with their customer, not only out of concern for the customer's satisfaction during and after the sale, but also because of genuine interest in customer feedback that helps to improve the next generation of tools. Not sure I'm feeling that these days as strongly as I once did.
    I do like the looks of the Cougar 3, and likely I'll try to pick one up after the season. I think that's the last bow Martin made that caught my interest. Shame they dropped the Cougar model from their lineup. I always liked the way their bows were named after cats...it created a brand identity...put the idea in your mind that their bows weren't inanimate objects like the competition, but living things with personality, wild and free. Now it seems they're getting away from that, too, with names like "SlayR", and "Tracer", "Crossfire", and "Exile". More keeping up with the competition. Next year they may have a couple bows named "Gut-Squisher", and "Donkey-Punch", with blinking red, white, and blue LED's, a cup holder, and a kick-stand.
    I guess I will get Barnsdale's to make me up a nice set of limbs. And if I don't find a Cougar 3 by this coming summer, I think I'm going to make a move to traditional archery. Just love the looks of a recurve, always have. That's why I ordered the old girl with the recurved wood limbs, it was a connection to the past. I'm a romantic, I suppose.
    I'm fortunate, for now, to have a spare bow that had been just sitting around. Picked up a Martin Orion Magnum bow kit for a song a few years ago, brand new, hard-case and all...everything still in plastic, tags still on, peep and dampers still loose on the string. Bought it from a guy I knew that sold store returns, blems, and damaged merch. Seems the hard-case took a hit during shipping, probably some jackass hot-rodding a forklift in a warehouse somewhere. Cracked the case, but it did it's job, and protected everything inside. Going to be doing a tech article about "fixing" the Dyna-cam. Keep an eye out for it, and let me know if it's helpful.
    Promised a few pictures of the painted lady. As it seems she's being retired, it's the least I can do to show my appreciation for so many years of great service. Thought these were going to turn out much better, my camera usually takes great pics, but these look like they were taken while I was having an epileptic fit. I could try again if anybody is really interested, but here are these:
    Last edited by Magnus777; 10-04-2011 at 06:28 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny how when enthusiasts talk about anything they've owned for awhile, whether it be old bows, old cars, or old guns, we talk about them as if they were people, and often by name. Is that called personification...I forget? But when newbs, or pros, or "experts" talk about anything, it's refered to by make, model, and/or size...with no more passion than talking about a wrench, or a hammer. Just an observation.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks

I would like to say thanks to all of your for your encouragement, enthusiasm, and wisdom. I feel glad to have joined this board, for however long my stay may last. Seems help is coming from all corners, and I may not have to retire my best girl after all.
    On a related not, I found this on another board (hope I'm allowed to link to stuff from other boards): http://www.piratesofarchery.net/bb/v...ic.php?p=62390 This lets me know I'm not the only soul to have walked this particular path. As I go along, the more I pick up from those who have gone before me, and the more I learn. This little project, those who have offered assistance, and the new ideas birthed from the process, have revived within me a passion for this sport which I so dearly love. Once again, thank you.

Sledge

Post Thanks / Like

Now that you've met us, stick around, this is a great bunch of archers. And yeah, looks like you took those pics using the zoom, ( really shows the 'shakes' ) if its not too much trouble, we'd like to see the ole gal, at least I would.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 10-07-2011 at 08:36 AM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Magnus777,
    I suspected I wasn't the only one that was really into the idea of the spirit of the cats giving personality to the bows. That is something that so draws me to the Martin lineup.

Martin has some good bows out there to pickup in the used market except not many people selling them. I am constantly browsing. I found my Cougar 3 Magnum as a New Old Stock...never been set up. It is a pleasure to own.

I followed your link to Pirates of Archery, good forum. Hope things work out with your conversion.
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus777 View Post
    I would like to say thanks to all of your for your encouragement, enthusiasm, and wisdom. I feel glad to have joined this board, for however long my stay may last. Seems help is coming from all corners, and I may not have to retire my best girl after all.
    On a related not, I found this on another board (hope I'm allowed to link to stuff from other boards): http://www.piratesofarchery.net/bb/v...ic.php?p=62390 This lets me know I'm not the only soul to have walked this particular path. As I go along, the more I pick up from those who have gone before me, and the more I learn. This little project, those who have offered assistance, and the new ideas birthed from the process, have revived within me a passion for this sport which I so dearly love. Once again, thank you.

Sledge
    This has got to be one of the most gracious posts I've seen in a long time. It has been quite a pleasure to share a forum with an archery enthusiast such as yourself.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Now that you've met us, stick around, this is a great bunch of archers. And yeah, looks like you took those pics using the zoom, ( really shows the 'shakes' ) if its not too much trouble, we'd like to see the ole gal, at least I would.
    Thanks so much! I feel welcome.

As it turns out, I think my thumb must have pushed the settings switch from "auto" to "night", and the camera couldn't focus because it was twilight. However, I gave it a second try, and they all came out spledidly this time!

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    Magnus777,
    I suspected I wasn't the only one that was really into the idea of the spirit of the cats giving personality to the bows. That is something that so draws me to the Martin lineup.

Martin has some good bows out there to pickup in the used market except not many people selling them. I am constantly browsing. I found my Cougar 3 Magnum as a New Old Stock...never been set up. It is a pleasure to own.

I followed your link to Pirates of Archery, good forum. Hope things work out with your conversion.

Yep. "Crossfire"; "Silencer"; "Ridge Hunter"; "Exile"...just doesn't do it for me the same way. Makes me think of war, assasination, moon-shiners, and escaped convicts. Lol! Also brings to mind the type of targeted marketing buzzwords from some of the other manufacturers...like what's the one, "RAK: Ready, Aim, Kill", or some such. I'll tell you, when I'm waxing up my bowstring, I'm not thinking about being in a firefight. When I come to full draw, I'm not thinking about flying a fighter jet, driving a sports car, or blasting off to the stars. And when I release...I'm not thinking about the exhilaration of a kill. In fact, when I do these things, I tend to think LESS...losing the sense of self...breaking free of the ego.
    It is in these small moments when there are no bills to be paid...no appointments to be kept...no peanut-butter samich. There is no "me". There is just....IS.
    When I draw my bow, filling it with my power, I connect with the spirit of the Cougar, the hunter. I become the rock...the tree...the arrow. And when the target of my aim is within my sight, whether it be a deer, a stump, or a haybale, I ask permission for the life I am about to take. I do so out of reverence for life, so I never forget to respect it's precious balance.
    Personally, I think this is the kind of "feeling" a bowyer should want his customer to attach to his wares. These bows and arrows of ours are really just tools, after all, like any other. They can be used towards a positive purpose. But they are also tools connected to a long and bloody history. When you name a bow...oh, I don't know... "Destroyer", for instance, or maybe....um.... "Carnage", just to pull a name out of a hat, you are re-establishing in your customer's mind the association with your product as a serious instrument of death and destruction. Don't people already get enough of that in video games, and on the news? Does an archery manufacturer really want to establish that kind of connection just to make a few, quick sales. I don't know...but you can name mine after a cat, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    This has got to be one of the most gracious posts I've seen in a long time. It has been quite a pleasure to share a forum with an archery enthusiast such as yourself.
    Well thank you so much! Likewise! I say what I mean, and mean exactly what I say. Now if I could only bring myself to proof read, and spell check. Ha!

Sledge

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pics, Redux!

By popular demand, here are some pics I took today. Let's see who has the sharp eyes.PICT0098.JPGPICT0083.jpgPICT0086.JPGPICT0085.jpgPICT0084.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like