Thread: string stop remonel

Post Thanks / Like

Default string stop remonel

does any one know how to get the string stop out of the riser when it does not want to go. I need to paint mine but with the set screw removed i can't even turn it with pliers or using a hammer on the pliers.

Destroyer

Shouldn't be that tight.

You could try giving it a gentle tap on the end while carefully twisting it at the base near the riser, that might loosen it up a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Should be able to use a punch thru the stabilizer hole to tap it out. Then you can sand it down a bit before you reinstall it.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the replies but my string stop and stabilizer holes do not mach up.

Destroyer

Some one must of belted the thing in. Have you tried heating up the stop, letting it cool a bit? It causes it to expand then contract somewhat.

Either you have to rethink taking it out or do the bad thing, use vice grips (or a vice) and wreck the stop, careful of the riser. Maybe not even then. Worse case scenario, cut it off and drill it out.

Post Thanks / Like

If you got it from a dealer then I'd say take it back and let him wrestlewith it. At least it should be covered by warranty if he messes it up. If you get it out you're going to have to reduce the size by using sand paper. As said it shouldn't be that tight.

What happens in most cases is that it's fairly tight when installed. Then the set screw gets tightened down and causes a burr on the rod. This makes them near impossible to remove. What I have done is once I get it close to the position I want it is to mark that side and file a nice flat spot where the set screw will contact the rod.

There are also set screws that have a brass or nylon end that will not cause a burr. You can always try this, but be careful you don't strip the threads in the riser.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver