Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Martin Cheetah success story!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Another Martin Cheetah success story!

Attachment 4595Attachment 4594Attachment 4593It all started Sat. morning with a nice active hunt. I had a doe and fawn come right in, and a small buck as well.... Also kicked up a solo doe on my way out as well.... I decided I didn't need to take a doe, or a small 1 1/2 year old buck so I moved on to my evening hunt. I had several deer come by, but my wind was wrong, and was caught by a couple of does.... regardless of the snorting and stomping, I still had some small does come in close and feed right under me. I had three coons come in and scare off deer. I had to wave at them several times to get them to run off..... I saw some real nice bucks walk around way out of range, but they had no intention on coming near me. Now I move on to this morning.... I woke up, showered in scent shield hair and body, and put on freshly washed hunting gear that was washed in scent killer. I sprayed down, and was hoping that my scent would not ruin my hunt as it did the night prior. As the sun was just about to come up, I heard some deer walking behind my tree. I was creeping around the tree to look for them, but had low light, and could not get a visual. Just as I was looking behind my tree, I heard footsteps and closing FAST. I turned around slowly to discover two bucks coming right in! The first is the deer I decided to take, and the second was a small fork. The wind was swirling, and the first buck began to get alert. I drew on him at 30 yards, and he was perfectly broadside. He quickly spun to a quartering away angle, and looked to be ready to bolt. I was then forced to either let him walk, or take a tough angular shot. I was confident, and like threading a needle released my Martin Cheetah, and went right over the right hind quarter, and with the help of my rage 2 blade head, sunk my arrow deep into his body (autopsy determined it went right through a little gut, right lung, and stopped against the front part of his ribs). I then watched my lighted red nock zig zag through the trees, crashing off trees several times. I was unsure of the shot placement at the time and decided to let him sit for a few hours. As I started my pursuit, I was surprised. I found a MASSIVE blood trail.... Some places, blood was spewing out 5 feet wide! He ran only 100 yards before tipping over. Now let me be the first to say, most would have let him "grow" I decided to take him because where we hunt, each spring it floods and you get a new batch of deer back year after year. It is next to impossible to manage your deer to have nothing but trophies walking around. I decided he was good enough for me, and was just stoked to enjoy my hunt!

Below I have pics of the arrow (which snapped as he tried pulling it out I assume. It was sunk all the way to where it was broke), the huge wound hole from the rage head, and myself and him just after I found him.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pizzadave; 10-02-2011 at 03:48 PM.
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

Nice story and a Yummy Buck!. He's gonna be some good eating. Congrats on your kill.

String builder/ Moderator Hutch~n~Son Archery's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Congrats looks real real yummy good harvest!!

Hutch
    Bow String Depot Custom String Builders
    Need a string set pm or email me @ bowstringdepot@gmail.com
    or check us out @ http://bowstringdepot.com

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! Cheers to your sucess! Cheetahs are the little bow that could, to be sure!
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job on the buck. Meat tastes the same as those with bigger racks.

Ionia(I-OWN-YA)Mi a prison town,go figure
    Post Thanks / Like

awesome job. you wont get any slack from me for shooting stuff that size.
    '14 ChillR 28.5"/74# Extreme Recon sight,Schaffer Opposition rest,LS modular stab, Beman ICS Hunter 340

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for all the positive replies.... I don't dare post it on archery talk. I'd be sure to get some douchebag responses on his size. I was a little disappointed at first..... he seemed a bit larger in the low light, but I'm happy... after he was field dressed he weighed 130 lbs.... and we boned it out immediately due to to 80 degree weather... all said and done with nothing but good meat we had 62 lbs going into the freezer.
    2012 Rytera Nemesis in vista camo
    equipment list
    • Strings by BOW STRING DEPOT (Formerly hutch n sons archery)
    • octane stabilizer
    • 3/16 meta peep
    • HHA ol5519 sight
    • QAD ultrarest HDX in realtree ap
    • fuse 3 arrow quiver
    • saunders hyperglide cable slide

Post Thanks / Like

A 130# field dressed whitetail is good sized here in SW OK. Very rarely are they close to 200# on the hoof.
    Firecat 400

Post Thanks / Like

Iowa grows some monsters!!!! I love seeing a giant rack, on a cow sized deer every now and then. Most hunting spot in my area are tied up though. Im working on some new spots though! It pays to know the good old farmers!
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

Good Job,he looks good to me.
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my grandfather.. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car.