Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardiac Archers

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cardiac Archers

My dad is looking to get back into bow hunting. He used to hunt back in the 80s and early 90s. in 91 my dad had open heart surgery and had his
    mitral valve replaced with a st jude "plastic" valve. I dont notice it much and neither does my dad but hes worried if hes up in a stand and a deer
    comes strolling along that the deer is going to hear the tick tick tick of his valve. Ive posted on AT with very limited results and just figured maybe i can get a good answer, so heres the ?. Does he have much to worry about with the valve or is he being over paranoid? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.
    2010 Rytera Nemesis. 63lbs/29dl 292 fps 384gr arrow. Sword 6 pin sight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigredhunter00 View Post
    My dad is looking to get back into bow hunting. He used to hunt back in the 80s and early 90s. in 91 my dad had open heart surgery and had his
    mitral valve replaced with a st jude "plastic" valve. I dont notice it much and neither does my dad but hes worried if hes up in a stand and a deer
    comes strolling along that the deer is going to hear the tick tick tick of his valve. Ive posted on AT with very limited results and just figured maybe i can get a good answer, so heres the ?. Does he have much to worry about with the valve or is he being over paranoid? Any help would be greatly
    appreciated.
    If he is physically able to get up in a tree and hunt - he has nothing to worry about.
    Even if a deer heard it, it is highly unlikely that they would just bolt.
    Deer hear, smell and sense a lot of things (the woods are not silent) unless they associate it with known danger - it dont bother them that much.
    A lot of times - things they haven't heard or seen before will draw them closer out of curiosity.
    You could do an informal test by having someone that has no idea about it stand 20 yards away from him and see if they hear anything.

My wife has been a cardiac nurse for a long time, she is up in Denver at a cardiac siminar right now but when she gets home I will ask her and post
    her opinion.
    My opinion is that if he gets out in the woods, whether he kills or not - is seriously good for him.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

A lot of deer are killed near farms with equipment running or near highways and industrial areas. I am always surprised when metallic sounds don't spook them. As was said, if they don't associate the sound with danger they may just approach out of curiosity. If hunting during the rut, then he shouldn't be concerned at all. I can't imagine with hunting gear on while up in the stand that the sound will travel that much.

With a good hunting location I have see deer harvested without any hunting prowess at all, folks just stumbling into good deer,
    Martin Black Panther - Martin Cougar III Magnum
    Rytera Scepter V - Martin Diablo - 2 @ Rytera Seeker

"I will make My arrows drunk with blood... Deuteronomy 32:42a (HCSB)
    I am an Alien, I am in this world but I am not of this world, have mercy. Tell the Truth and shame the Devil.
    http://theprayeroftheday.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by peace View Post
    A lot of deer are killed near farms with equipment running or near highways and industrial areas. I am always surprised when metallic sounds don't spook them. As was said, if they don't associate the sound with danger they may just approach out of curiosity. If hunting during the rut, then he shouldn't be concerned at all. I can't imagine with hunting gear on while up in the stand that the sound will travel that much.

With a good hunting location I have see deer harvested without any hunting prowess at all, folks just stumbling into good deer,
    True dat, as they say! My granddad, killed a deer 11 years in a row, while feeding his dairy cows, the bucks saw him feed every day and thought nothing of it until Grandpa pulled out the ole thurdy thurdy.
    Last edited by elkslayer4x5; 10-08-2011 at 06:34 PM.
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Oops... forgot to get back on this thread. Me bad!
    I did talk to my wife about this, she has taken care of hundreds of people with mechanical heart valves and she also has been bowhunting for 15 or 16 years now.
    She feels that the only way a deer would spook or even notice is "if they were standing there with their head on your shoulder."
    She also said if she had one - it wouldnt even be a consideration as to wether she would still hunt or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Default The St. Jude Click

I had emergency surgery on Jan. of 2010 and they installed a st. jude's valve. The reason I found this thread is I am looking for answers. I am very thankful to be alive for one. But have had numerous times deer and elk mark me because of the loud clicking. If they come by in herds its all right but 1 or 2 at a time is disaster. They don't really spook out of the country but they definitely know something is there and avoid getting within 40 - 50 yds. The last three nights have been so frustrating because the wind was perfect and my stand is hidden perfectly, but also have been very quiet evenings as usual for this time of year in North Idaho. Some people might think I'm crazy but if a person can hear the clicking 10 - 15 feet away how much better can a deer or elk hear it. Had elk close every night but they just wouldn't commit. Does anyone have any suggestions to quiet the clicking? Thank You ... I guess the clicking sure beats the alternative!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by idbow View Post
    I had emergency surgery on Jan. of 2010 and they installed a st. jude's valve. The reason I found this thread is I am looking for answers. I am very thankful to be alive for one. But have had numerous times deer and elk mark me because of the loud clicking. If they come by in herds its all right but 1 or 2 at a time is disaster. They don't really spook out of the country but they definitely know something is there and avoid getting within 40 - 50 yds. The last three nights have been so frustrating because the wind was perfect and my stand is hidden perfectly, but also have been very quiet evenings as usual for this time of year in North Idaho. Some people might think I'm crazy but if a person can hear the clicking 10 - 15 feet away how much better can a deer or elk hear it. Had elk close every night but they just wouldn't commit. Does anyone have any suggestions to quiet the clicking? Thank You ... I guess the clicking sure beats the alternative!
    Sure does! But as Mrs Spiker says, the deer would have to lay its head on youir chest. Maybe it just sounds that loud to you, do people 15-20 feet away hear it?
    http://eastoutfitter.tripod.com/index.html
    http://www.cascadianbowmen.org/
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, shoot thru, 63lb, Quiktune 3000, HAA OL 5519, Beman ICS Hunter
    Martin 06 Slayer, Nitrous C, Shoot thru, 55lb, Quiktune 3000, HHA OL 5519 2X, Easton A/C/C
    Ben Pearson 1968 'Cougar' 62" 45#s @ 28" recurve, parallel shaft POC, Zwickey 'Eskimo' 2 blade

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, this might sound crazy, but so am I. This is just a thought that popped into my mind reading this. Has anyone tried some acoustic sound deadening material. I tinker with speakers a bit and the material comes in thicknesses of around a half inch to several feet thick. I was thinking you could prototype it by holding it in place with say an ace type bandage and if it works you could probably have it sewn into a shirt as a liner. I don't know much about the devise so you would have to make sure something like this would be safe to attempt. Partsexpress.com has a few different types of the foam so if it would be safe to try you could start looking there. I don't know just a thought thinking outside the box.

Post Thanks / Like

I think Chip may be on to something. You might look into spandex/lacra/neoprene ski or scuba clothing.
    I'm a Lefty

2011 Martin Ridge Hunter
    2012 Rytera Alien Z
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2008 Diamond Marquis
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel
    2009 Bowtech Sentinel

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by elkslayer4x5 View Post
    Sure does! But as Mrs Spiker says, the deer would have to lay its head on youir chest. Maybe it just sounds that loud to you, do people 15-20 feet away hear it?
    They can definitely hear it. It has to be quiet of course. I have been bowhunting for 35 years and never had this problem before this. Sounds like some interesting ideas. I guess i will go out this evening again. Here's to hoping for a hard of hearing elk! Thanks guys
    Last edited by idbow; 12-13-2011 at 11:23 AM.