Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Martin Owner's Group - kind of long, be prepared.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NeilMac View Post
    I think it's a brilliant idea, and it would be great if somebody at Martin could indicate what the board think about it.

Does anybody on the forum have a factory contact, who could be asked to gauge interest in this idea?
    joel from martin C.S. reads this forum and is a admin so if there was any intress im sure he would chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

Seems the overall response so far has been very positive, although many voices remain silent, for whatever reason. At least, no one has had anything negative to say about the idea. Maybe it's time to petition Martin for a response? I'll see if I can put something together over the next few days, and get it up for everyone to take a look. There should be an option to sign anonymously for anyone that would prefer to do so.

Sledge
    Last edited by Magnus777; 10-17-2011 at 06:32 AM. Reason: Typo correction

Post Thanks / Like

yeah your idea really sounds like something to push a brand promise. most martin exposure is from other martin owners, so it makes sense that they help sell the brand. if every brand had the same quality, customer service, and performance, what could martin bring that is extra to the table?
    2010 rytera x. apache rest, truglo 5pin. 8in shockbocker 1000 stabilizer. norway g2 string tamer Huch-n-Son strings
    2010 rytera z apache carbon rest axt primal x5 sight

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus777 View Post
    Seems the overall response so far has been very positive, although many voices remain silect, for whatever reason. At least, no one has had anything negative to say about the idea. Maybe it's time to petition Martin for a response? I'll see if I can put something together over the next few days, and get it up for everyone to take a look. There should be an option to sign anonymously for anyone that would prefer to do so.

Sledge
    Must be talking about me. Well, as a staff shooter I'm kinda caught in the middle. There have been a lot of good ideas come out of this thread, but I don't run the company. And like some of you I can and do all my own work/adjustments on my bows; enjoy it really.

Being a short draw guy (27") my choice of bows is somewhat limited. I like longer bows (36"+) so getting one that fits my draw length can be an issue. Especially since most draw longer than listed, sometimes by quite a bit. So in stating my wishes, along with a lot of the other suggestions, I'd like to see their bows be adjustable within the draw length range they are listed. Maybe even be individually tested and shot prior to shipment and come with a birth certifcate stating the bow's actual performance.

Understand that whis would be just for those bows ordered to a customer's specified specs. I would venture a guess that most of the bows ordered are enmass for a dealer to hang on the wall to sell. These would be exempt as most are set to their max draw weight and a generic 29" draw. It would be a waste of somebody's time to shoot every 29"/70# bow in a run of 200 or so.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gravediggermtv View Post
    joel from martin C.S. reads this forum and is a admin so if there was any intress im sure he would chime in.
    Maybe they're just waiting to see if we're serious. So many ideas seem good at first, and then fade after they've had time to air out. I can see where it would not be worth their time and consideration unless it had mass popular support.

For the record, let me be clear...and this isn't directed specifically at you gravedigger, but for general notice to any, and everyone...I am not trying to plan sedition, stage an insurrection, incite a mutiny, or stir up the villagers. I'm not trying to cause trouble of any kind. Far from it! I simply had an idea I thought would benefit everyone, company and customer alike, and wanted to solicit the opinions of others. As it turns out, the idea seems to be rather popular...so let's refine it, and see what we can do!

Quote Originally Posted by justin View Post
    yeah your idea really sounds like something to push a brand promise. most martin exposure is from other martin owners, so it makes sense that they help sell the brand. if every brand had the same quality, customer service, and performance, what could martin bring that is extra to the table?
    A "brand promise"? Yes, that sounds correct, in part. Martin seems to be very good at standing behind their product, and taking care of their customers when there is a problem. But how many people who shoot other brands know that?
    I think I would like to see Martin make a formal pledge to their customers; to make the best equipment possible, to continually improve not only their product line, but the whole of their buisness, to treat their customers fairly, to show all due respect for their customer's concerns, and to invest in the future of the sport. Now, every point I mentioned might not be outside what they're doing already, so there is no extra cost...but to come out and make that promise to every individual that owns one of their products, or makes such a purchase in the future...that's something I don't see anyone else doing.
    I agree, most exposure to the Martin brand is from other people that own and use Martin equipment. It's not a shock-and-awe, in your face, fireworks and neon signs approach, and that's a good thing! It means the first impression a potential new customer gains about the company is not an empty promise from some Saturday afternoon tv commercial, but an honest testimonial from a current Martin shooter. You can't buy that kind of exposure, it has to be earned!
    To answer your last question, "If every brand had the same quality, customer service, and performance, what could Martin bring that is extra to the table?" Honestly, are all other brands equal or greater than Martin in those three areas? Perhaps a few are. But does anybody in the buisness have a direct line to the hearts and minds of their customer, and what customers of any brand are allowed direct access to pre-production equipment, or genuine input into the development of future product? What other company promotes itself and the relationship it has with it's customers as a family, a give and take, sharing and caring, one for all and all for one family unit? None, I think.
    Every company I'm aware of sets it's engineers and bean-counters loose on a new product idea, and the customer is completely excluded until the new product hits the market, with the exception of the occasional focus group. It is a hit or miss, all or nothing game plan. The public either accepts the new idea, and production continues, or they reject it, and the line is scrapped. So failing is a rather expensive proposition.
    But what if the customer was brought in from the very start? What if they were allowed to submit ideas for new products and equipment? What if they were allowed to test it while it was still in development, and offer suggestions for improvement? I think there would be a much higher probability for that product to be successful. And all that can be done without sensitive information being revealed to competitors if it is managed properly. Much of the customer input process can be incorporated into the customer service department, and managed in a computer database. And much of the other customer/company interaction I suggested in earlier posts...the company sponsored shoots, company tours, shooting clinics, etc., can be done on the cheap...the yearly budget for such would likely be less than the cost of one tv commercial.
    In short, no other company makes the customer feel like they are part of something. No other company allows the customer any say. No other company incorporates the customer experience as part of the buisness model, rather, counting them only as the recipient and purchaser of the end product. Then it's "Here's what we came up with this year. You can buy it, or shoot something else."

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Must be talking about me. Well, as a staff shooter I'm kinda caught in the middle. There have been a lot of good ideas come out of this thread, but I don't run the company. And like some of you I can and do all my own work/adjustments on my bows; enjoy it really.

Being a short draw guy (27") my choice of bows is somewhat limited. I like longer bows (36"+) so getting one that fits my draw length can be an issue. Especially since most draw longer than listed, sometimes by quite a bit. So in stating my wishes, along with a lot of the other suggestions, I'd like to see their bows be adjustable within the draw length range they are listed. Maybe even be individually tested and shot prior to shipment and come with a birth certifcate stating the bow's actual performance.

Understand that whis would be just for those bows ordered to a customer's specified specs. I would venture a guess that most of the bows ordered are enmass for a dealer to hang on the wall to sell. These would be exempt as most are set to their max draw weight and a generic 29" draw. It would be a waste of somebody's time to shoot every 29"/70# bow in a run of 200 or so.
    Hello Barry. Yes, yours was one of those voices I was hoping to hear...so to speak. I respect your thoughts and opinions, as well as those of several others. I did kind of figure some might be holding back to keep from putting themselves on the record, and potentially getting into a sticky situation.
    You know, one of the things I enjoy about the Martin line is that there are so many options, so many choices! Just about any and everyone can perfectly outfit themselves by going with Martin. There are speed bows, short ATA bows, long ATA bows, hunting bows, target bows...AND traditional equipment to boot!
    The individual testing is a good idea, I think. I know among the rifle manufacturers, Weatherby for one, test fires every, single new rifle off the line, and includes the test target in the box. True, it may be difficult for a bow manufacturer to test every new bow from their line, but for those that are special ordered it should be a requirement. When you go to a dealer to purchase your new equipment, they have pros on staff that can set it up for you, and help you tune it. But when you buy direct, even though you may know how, and may enjoy doing so, who should have to put up with checking over your new bow for proper assembly, loose fastners, properly timed cams, etc.? I'm not saying it happens with every one...but I do know it happens. Add to that the uncertainty of using the factory specs as a guide, and it's enough to give a person a major headache!
    Love the birth certificate idea! Seems I remember once upon a time special ordered Martins included the "build by" signature on the sticker. If I'm not mistaken, I seem to remember at least one saying something in the order of "made specially for". If they're not still doing it, they should! How much does it cost to print a generic certificate suitable for framing...maybe with a gold foil seal, and signed buy whoever made your bow? Almost nothing! How much does it cost to make a small, laser etched i.d. plate w/ the customer's name? Pennies. But it turns up the knob a couple notches on the Customer Experience Meter! It's the little things....little things like that....that makes a customer proud and happy, and keeps them coming back!

Good ideas and comments, all! Keep'em coming!

Sledge
    Last edited by Magnus777; 10-17-2011 at 08:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

My apologies to all who have followed this thread with interest. I have not forgotten what we started, nor my commitment. But I have to admit, having never written a formal petition before, I am having a fair amount of trouble putting it together. There aren't really any good examples to follow...nobody doing exactly what we are trying to do. Now, unfortunately, I've run up to, and past a deadline, as I have commited myself to a hunting trip...a trip I was supposed to leave for about...oh...an hour ago!
    I will be back in about a week, at which point I will pick up where I left off. In the mean time, if anyone has ANY suggestions, tips, helpfull hints, questions, or even if you just want to recite a dirty lymric...please PM me, and I'll follow up when I get back.
    To everyone else heading out to the sacred hunting grounds, keep the wind in your face, the sun at your back, and your feathers dry! Good hunting!

Sledge