Thread: Limb number question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Limb number question

I have 2 Shadowcats and as far as I know they are both 2010's. I bought them both used off of AT.
    The first one I bought was said to have Barnsdale limbs. It has gray stripes on the sides and are marked with the number 135. It came with the 1.5 cams and maxes out at 57 pounds. The 2nd bow I bought, I think has the power tuff limbs, they have a red stripe on the sides of the limbs and are marked 3H. It came with the 2.0 cams on it. I swapped the 2.0's to a guy for a set of 1.5's. Before the swap it maxed out at 63 pounds and after the cam swap I think it would max out at around 70+.
    I have it set at 57 pounds and there is a good 1/2" of gap between the riser and limb before it's maxed out. Any ideas on why this would be?
    Also none of the limb numbers match anything listed on Martins site.
    Thanks,
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know just what the Brnesdale limbs should max at on the ShadowCat, but it would seem they should be 55# or 60#. The grey stripes on the edge and 135 deflection number do identify them as Barnesdale limbs.

Now for the Martin limbs. I'm almost positive that with the red stripes on the edge these are 2010 4 laminate limbs. If they were Power Tuff limbs they would be marked 3HP. With 2.0 cams the 3H should max at 60#. Most max just a bit higher so yours pan out to specs. What happens when you put the 1.5 cams on is that, being smaller, it takes more leverage to roll them over. That's why they max so much higher. It's normally about 10#.

If you want to drop the weight you'll have to get new limbs. With Martin's deflection codes you'd need 1H to max at 60#. Two numbers lower than what it now has. Each number coincides with a 5# change. And being as Martin now makes the Power Tuff limbs you'd most likely end up with 1HP.

If you plan on shooting lower than 60#, say 57#, and desire the bow to maxed out then you'd want 1HL (Low) or maybe 1HM (Medium). The difference between the L and the M would be about 2# to 3#.

Hope this answer your question.
    If You're Not Living on the Edge You're Taking Up Too Much Space
    Martin Gold Plus Staff Shooter
    Alien Mafia
    PSAA Life member, UBP Life member
    PADI AOW Diver

Post Thanks / Like

Barry,
    Thank you for the info.
    It helps a lot.
    Don.
    I am sponsered by Louie Rangle-- Gator Feathers by Gator vanes...www.gatorvanes.com Deer Crossing Target shafts. Specialty Archery Timberdoodle ll rest. Bow String Depot Cables and String.
    I Shoot a 2012-SepterV and a 2011-Shadowcat
    I shoot Bowhunter, not barebow--fingers non-sights.